-Chapter Five-

-Dan- (Recap from the party in Dans pov)

The cool air around me is doing nothing to help the hatred i'd long ago developed for the winter season. It took away most of the beautiful things I loved experiencing for a few months. The sun set earlier, usually so early that it resulted in the colors being dull, or gone altogether. The snow began to fall, early too, it was only November and flurries of the white flakes were already falling over my shoulders. It was ridiculous, the only upside was that the sweaters I wore felt nicer to wear.

Puddles of previously fallen snow is now melting along the ground, sloshing under my footsteps as I walk along the pavement. I don't understand how quickly the winter was encasing every aspect of nature at the moment. Just this morning it had been clear, no sign of snow other than the thick clouds in the distance that were now overhead.

I feel heavy, emotionally, like there was something weighing me down. This seemed to physically hinder my steps from normal, and I begin to drag my feet along the ground as I start to cross the street. I was usually cautious when walking home. I knew that I could end up flattened like a pancake on the road if I didn't pay attention, and I almost did just in this very moment.

I stop dead in my tracks as the car stops just barely an inch away from my hip, and I swallow thickly as I turn towards the windshield. I was full on expecting some angry parent or old man to yell at me, but as I notice the familiar boy sat in the drivers seat, i'm fully taken by surprise.

He seems even more surprised than I am, his blue eyes widened immensely and his hands tightly gripping the steering wheel. It stays like that for a few seconds, him staring at me and me staring back at him. The only thing finally snapping me out of my trance being the blare of a few car horns around me.

I quickly take notice of how I had backed up the heavy flow of traffic, so with one last look towards the boy in the car, I pull the sleeves of my sweater further down my arms and begin running. I don't know why I was, but as I disappear around a corner after running for a while, my lungs feeling heavy and my legs tired, I feel like I can finally breathe.

I breathlessly lean against a stone wall, after catching my breath realizing that it was the same one that was just down the street from my house. A few more seconds of steadying my breathing passes before I start down the pavement towards my house. I'm definitely not telling my mum about this little incident. I would probably be forbidden from walking all the way home ever again.

After about a minute of walking, I finally reach my house. The snow that was falling before was slightly more heavy as I cross the frosted yard to the front door. Feeling the snow on my shoulders dampen my sweater upon stepping into the warm house, freezing my skin a bit as I turn into the living room.

I catch sight of my mum as soon as I walk in, and she seems to notice me also as she sets down the book in her hands beside her. "I told you I would pick you up, you're all wet now." She rises to her feet as she gestures to my shoulders, shaded a few colors darker with the company of the melting snow.

She always was quite a fan of the ever famous, "I told you so" and I had learned by now to just ignore the way she seemed so happy to prove me wrong.

I simply roll my eyes as she sets her hands on my shoulders, feeling the frozen damp area, immediately shaking her head. "You're freezing, come on, i'll make you some hot chocolate." She says with a sigh, removing her hands from my shoulders and turning into the kitchen, and I follow along after a few seconds.