-Chapter Four-

-Phil-

Each puff of breath that escapes my mouth is visible around me in the cold mid-November air, my feet slapping against the asphalt of the large parking lot of the school I had previously been inside of. Now, as I was outside in the freezing air, I realized just how stupid I was for wearing a t-shirt in the winter, As I was freezing to bits as I try to remember where i'd parked my car this morning.

I thankfully spot my car after wandering around for who knows how long, pulling my jingling keys from the pocket of my jeans as I realize that was parking lot was now mostly empty. I really should try and remember things better, as my lack of taking note on where I had parked was now seriously effecting my mood.

I continue towards the edge of the parking lot, my eyes staying locked on the black car I called my own as I fumble with the keys mindlessly. When I finally reach the vehicle, I immediately rush to unlock it, my numbing hand latching over the handle before I pull it open.

Upon sliding into the seat on the drivers side, I realized that it wasn't much warmer in here as it was outside, so I immediately turn the heaters up on full blast. The air is cold and unpleasant for a few moments before it finally begins to heat up, and I rush to slot the keys into their place before turning them, starting the car with a low rumble before I pull out of the parking spot I was currently positioned in.

As I begin the familiar drive home, my mind begins to wander to just a few hours ago when I'd slotted myself into the whole sweater boy situation, something that was a bit out of character for me. I had surprised myself today, to say the least. I hadn't helped anyone in a while except for myself, and it was unnerving as I concluded that I'd felt a bit of unwanted happiness at the act of helping someone.

I bite the inside of my cheek as I remember the way his face had looked, the way he was so completely broken showing through as if he was made of glass.

I suck in a quick breath as I become suddenly aware of the present again, snapping from my thoughts immediately as I instinctively slam on the breaks.

My eyes widen as my they meet with chocolatey brown ones that were wide in fear just in front of my car.

Sweater boy.

I had nearly hit sweater boy.

Of all people to be wandering along the same road I'd coincidentally been driving down at this exact moment, it had to be sweater boy.

I gulp after a few short seconds of staring back at him in shock. The small boy finally blinking before quickly moving from the spot he had been frozen in place at. Readjusting the sleeves of his sweater almost instinctively.

My lips part slightly and my feet flinch, two halves of my mind fighting against each other at the same time. One side of myself was urging me to jump out of the car and apologize, hence the sudden flinch of my feet, yet the other side was keeping me frozen in place as I stare back at him into his wide eyes.

His head turns away from mine suddenly, and before I even grasp the slight chance of apologizing, he's running the opposite direction from my car. Turning around a corner without so much as a glance towards me, and I was left shocked and confused as the sound of loud honks blare around me. The sound slapping me back into reality as I realized I had stopped in the middle of the street.

I quickly regain my senses as I step on the gas, continuing down the street as my mind rushed with scattered thoughts.

How had I been so damn stupid?

I could have seriously hurt him, maybe even killed him.

Although I had come close to doing the same in different situations, this time it was different. I found a strange feeling tearing away at me with just the simple thought of actually hurting the boy in the sweater.