Mother looked at me with a shocked expression. “You remember?”

I nodded, “Yes, I do. Now, Mom, I would like to formally introduce you to Bryson Wyatt, my fiancé.”

“Fiancé?!” She yelled with a horrid look on her face.

Even though I had all my memory up until three years ago, I was still hoping nothing significant happened in the two years that followed that would jeopardize this act. “Yes, my fiancé. I have been secretly dating him for a few months now. I didn’t want to tell you because you will tell dad and I didn’t want Father knowing because then he wouldn’t sanction it. We both know that in that case, he would demand I break up with Bryson here and I ... I love Bryson too much to let that happen...”

Mother stumbled back before collapsing down on the couch. She clutched her heart and looked down with a dazed look in her eyes.

“Mom!” I stepped forward to see if she was alright but she held out her hand for me to stop.

“I am fine, I just need a breather,” She spoke. It took her a minute but soon enough she glanced up at me. “You love him?”

I gave her a goofy grin as a blush crept up on my face. I nodded wildly for a second, “Yes, I do.”

She sucked in a deep breath of air, “Well,” she exhaled loudly. “This is ... - not surprising,” She proclaimed.

I blinked a few times. “Huh?”

Her eyes locked with mine, “You've been a self-proclaimed single, independent woman for a long time now. I was waiting for the right guy to walk in and change your mind. I knew it would happen and I knew you would hide it from your father. You know, Peter wanted to tell me something about you that night of the wreck ... he found out about Bryson, didn’t he?”

I furrowed my eyebrows wondering what it was that Peter wanted to tell mom about the night of the wreck. Could it have been that he found out about Bryson and me? Or was it something else?

Wiping the confusion from my face, I put up my facade that I let slip for a mere second. “Yeah ... he did,” I untruthfully spoke.

Mom was silent for a second longer as she directed her attention on Bryson. “Do you love her back?”

My body twisted to see Bryson looking like a deer caught in the headlights. “Uhhh ... yeah,” He fumbled for a moment on his words before finding his voice again, “I love her ... more than you know,” He stated and then gave me a genuine smile.

I faced my mother and found her grinning like a wildcat.

“Oh! This is perfect!” She stood up and clapped her hands together. “The mere coupling of you two will send your father to his grave! I love it!” An evil glint shined in my mother’s eyes. “When is the wedding?!”

“Mom, you know that I am with him out of love, not to just stab my father in the back,” I told her.

She waved me off, “I know that! However, the only reason I am on board for this wedding is to see your father’s face!”

I rolled my eyes, “Of course you are not on board because your daughter is happy or that she is in love!”

Mother suddenly realized her mistake, “Oh, I am happy that you are happy! It truly does mean something, Elle, that you found the one. I once had what you, now, have ... and I want you to have and embrace it for all that it is worth. You deserve to be happy ... So, while I might be excited to see your Dad’s face when he finds out, I’m also thrilled to know that you are in love and engaged!” She shrieked. Quickly getting off the couch she captured me in a bone crushing hug. “Oh! Elle, you are growing up so fast! However, I knew this day would come!”