47| The Death

I stared at Zuko, tears pooling in my eyes. "This is what you wanted, isn't it? Well you got it. I hope you're happy." 

And he just stood there, staring at me. Just stood there, mocking me, the shadows of the flames flickering on his scarred face. Katara held Aang in her arms, her eyes red and full of disbelief. 

He tried to reach for me, to touch me one last time but I lashed out, a flame wall coming up between us. He backed away as it died down.

And then he scowled, his scar crumpling, his eyebrows coming together. His golden eyes were full of flames even though there wasn't any fire around him. 

"Get lost." The words slipped out of my mouth as I turned away from him.

🔥🔥🔥

Appa flew across the sky as Katara leaned over Aang. She reached out, moving her hands up and down slowly as the spirit water passed through Aang's back and chest. 

As soon as we thought everything was over, Aang's eyes flickered open. Katara burst into tears of joy and hugged Aang tight.

I set my jaw. "I'm so glad you didn't use that on Zuko," I said. "Even if Aang never got hurt."

We were standing on a Fire Nation ship when suddenly, we heard smashing and giant booming sounds.

"I think he's awake," I nudged Katara. She looked over at me.

"And he has no clue where he is." Suddenly, Aang burst out, crying in pain as he slammed onto the floor. "Aang!" Katara yelled, running towards him. He didn't see her, yanking out his staff and opening it up. With a swift movement I had him frozen to the ground, his feet covered in ice.

"Aang," I stumbled towards him, taking off my Fire Nation helmet, "It's me."

We'd taken over a Fire Nation ship while Aang had been out for days. We were all dressed up in fire nation attire and helmeted and all. 

"Aang, you need to go back and rest." Katara soothed, putting a hand on his shoulder. His hair had grown, covering his arrow in black. 

"No," he said. "I have . . . to be here." His chest was wrapped in bandages and he winced every time he spoke or walked.

"No, Aang. You're not well."

"Where are we?"

"On a Fire Nation ship," Katara and Sokka's father, Hakoda, said, appearing in front of us. Bato also stood next to us.

Suddenly, I turned around, hearing a movement in the water. "Oh, God. Guys, hide!"

Toph and Sokka jumped, throwing a sheet to cover Appa with who was sitting in a metal  cave type thing on the deck of the ship. I gulped, standing behind Hakoda. A Fire Nation ship was heading our way.

"I can help," Aang said, lifting up his staff.

"No." I pushed him back.

"Why not?"

"Because!" Katara said through clenched teeth. "Because."

"Because what?" Aang yelled.

"Because everyone thinks you're  dead!" Sokka said.

Aang stared at us all, horrified. "Dead?"

"It's to our advantage!" Sokka shrugged, a grin on his face. "Sneak attacks."

"Sorry, Aang," I shrugged.

"C'mon, Aang. Let's go inside." Katara took him by the arm, leading him inside to safety. I took a deep breath and slid into the indent area under Appa's blanket, along with Sokka and Toph. Time to hide.