Chapter 7: Birthday

My birthday and birthday party are tomorrow. The best thing about my birthday is that it is the one time a year the vampires and werewolves agree to meet for "treaty reasons" and they stay for my party of course so I get to see everybody well at least the ones who come for the meeting. We may not live near them anymore, but ever since the Volturi incident from when I was younger, the werewolves like to stay informed about any vampire activity.

Alice was in charge of planning the party and since the wolves were coming, the plans actually included food which Jacob helped to choose. I was surprised with how easy it was for us to be a couple in front of my family. My mom was a huge help in helping my dad understand. It must be really weird for her since there is some history between them. I try not to think too much about it. Jake and I were setting up tables in the backyard of the main house.

"Are you excited to see everyone?" I asked him.

"Yeah." He smiled.

"It must be really hard being away from everyone."

"I try not to think about it. Ever since my dad died, I kinda embraced you guys as my family. Even though you guys are a bunch of bloodsuckers." He turned it into a joke because I knew he didn't want me to push him for more. He didn't like to talk about his dad, he hasn't even been back to his house since the funeral. I can't imagine what I would do if I lost my dad. As if on cue my dad walked into the backyard. 

"How's the setup coming along?" My dad asked.

"It's going good, Jake and I are almost done and all that's left is the lights, which Alice is getting Jasper and Emmet to do."

"Sounds good. Have you seen your mother?" He asked after kissing me on the head.

"She's in the living room with Esme and Rose."

"Thanks." He started towards the house.

"Finally, we are alone." Jake laughed as he pulled me in close to him. We started to kiss. I still can't believe how normal this feels as if there was something more drawing us together. And what was also weird is how my family actually encouraged it. "Oh, Quil and Claire are coming. So we won't be the only odd couple at the party."

"Claire! I totally forgot that they are like us." Quil is about 16 years older than Claire in human years, but like Jacob he is still young and they started dating about a year ago. He has known her for her whole life like Jacob and me.

"Movie?" He asked grabbing my hand.

"Which one?" 

"You're the birthday girl, you choose."

"Almost the birthday girl," I corrected, "are you sure that you want me to choose?"

"Not really, but I'm sure you can find a way to make it up to me." He smiled then kissed me on the cheek."

"Emma? I haven't seen that one in a while."

"What's up with you and that Janie girl."

"You mean Jane Austen?"

"Yeah her."

"She's my favorite author. You know that."

"But we are watching a movie not reading a book." He pointed out. 

"I'm the birthday girl and I get to choose." I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Almost the birthday girl." He said mocking my earlier remark. 

I went to bed early that night since most of the werewolf family were going to show up early in the morning since they refuse to spend the night with us. I woke up to a soft knock on my door. It was my parents.