Chapter 4: Gift

It had been two weeks since Jake started teaching me how to drive. He and my dad had been alternating turns teaching me. Jake and I were hanging out at my house while the others were out hunting. Since I was trying this whole "being normal" thing I decided not to go. Although as I ate my lunch, I felt myself craving some blood, preferably mountain lion blood.

My birthday is coming up in a few weeks, so I was trying to hint to my parents that I wanted a car, since I could now drive. I used ther computers to search ofr it and would leave the page showing the car so when he used it he would see it.

"So you are going to talk to my dad, right?" I asked Jacob.

"About what?" He asked sarcastically. I shot him a look. 

"Yeah, yeah I know. You want a 2010 electric blue mustang with white racing stripes. I still don't know why you want a mustang. And why a 2010? You know your parents have enough money to get you a brand new one, or even a classic that they can restore."

"I just like the way they look. And besides if I get a classic, it won't have air conditioning and since my temperature is higher than everyone else's, well except yours. I'm going to need it." I smiled.

"I guess. I still don't think your dad is going to let you drive around in a used car." 

"Let's watch a movie." I changed the subject because I had a feeling I wouldn't win this argument.

"Depends... Who is going to pick? If you put on one of your girly classic movies, I'm going to fall asleep and never wake up." He dramatically laid out across the couch closing his eyes pretending to be dead.

"Don't be such a drama queen. Just pick one."

"Fine." He got up off the couch and walked over to our vast library of movies. I don't know why, but I caught myself looking at Jacob. I never really noticed how handsome Jacob was. I mean I knew he looked good, but I never paid attention to his defined muscles. He was wearing tight shirt that Alice had bought for him. It clung to his abs when he turned to ask my approval of his movie choice. I just nodded, I didn't even see which one it was. I was dazzled by his looks.

What was I doing, I can't think of Jacob like that he's my... my... wait, Jacob isn't my anything. He was my mom's best friend, well my best friend now. Why couldn't I think of him like that? I have a right to like whoever I want. I'm 16, ok almost 16. I'm old enough to have a boyfriend right? 

"Nessie, hello? You there?"

"What?" I shook my head, trying to clear it.

"I've been trying to ask you if you want me to go make popcorn. I asked you three times and you just kept staring at the movie case. What were you thinking about anyway?"

"Just my car," and about how handsome you are. I added to myself.

"Come here I want to try something." He came over to the couch and reached out his hand. I took it and stood up. This time more aware that we were touching. 

"What's going on?"

" You know how you can show us things."

"Yes." Please don't ask me to show you what I was thinking.

"Well do you think that it's possible that your gift cold be a little similar to your dad's?"

"What do you mean?" 

"Do you think that you could possibly see what I want to show you?" I had never thought of this, but it couldn't hurt to try. "What do you usually do when you show people things."

"I just close my eyes and think about whatever I want to show you and just, I don't know how to say it, but I like project it to you when I touch you."