1. The Kid Who Plays Basketball

Tyler's POV

I hated going to school. I didn't have any friends. I mean, yeah, I was on the basketball team. But I'm awkward and I'm always stuck in my own thoughts.

My teammates don't talk to me much. Unless it's about what uniform we're wearing or what play we're running. That's okay with me, though. I'm really good at basketball and i'm kinda relying on it to get me into college.. I'm not exactly the A+ student.

My dad says he wants me to go pro after college.. Yeah... Right.. It's not what I want to do at all..

I'd never admit it, but I have a love for music. I dream about it all the time, but I can't.. It's not like I'm any good anyway.. And my dad would never allow it..

They don't know it, but I've done a lot of small yard work jobs to earn some money and bought a keyboard one summer while they were away on vacation.

Then a recording system.

Microphones.. All hid away in my room in the basement. They know I play the ukulele and that's about it. They would flip if they knew how much I spent on making music.

I let out a deep breath. Time to go to school. We have the home opening game tonight so of course I have to wear my home jersey, although I'd rather be wearing my usual skinny jeans and a t-shirt of sorts. I tossed on my uniform and the matching sweat pants and jacket. Tugged my bag on and off to school I went.

"Hey, Tyjo! Ready for the game tonight?" one of my teammates called to me at my locker. Tyjo.. I didn't understand why they gave me this nickname.. It's not like we were good friends or anything..

"Uh.. Yeah." I replied back.

"You don't seem so enthusiastic.. Come on man, it's our rivals! We gotta kick some ass!" he persisted. I didn't even know his name.. I didn't know any of their names.

"Yeah.." I replied again slowly. "If we keep our heads in the game we should be fine." it wasn't any pep talk or something super outgoing like I think he wanted to hear cause he just scoffed and turned back to our other teammates. I sighed closing my locker and headed to my first class.

I sat down at my desk in the back corner. There was less attention back there. I could just scribble more poems down. Ones I eventually turn into songs when my parents aren't around.

I got out my notebook and pencil and began writing away, but something caught my eye. Laughter approaching the door.

Then fire.

Okay.. Not actually fire, but Joshua Dun.. He was always outgoing and had so many friends. Bright fiery red hair. Hence the fire comment. Again, I'm not smooth.

I always wanted to be friends with Josh, but he'd never want the same. He was that guy that all the girls wanted, all the guys wanted to be him or his friend.

I'm guilty.

But I mean.. Josh Dun.. C'mon! Who wouldn't?! Okay.. It might go a bit farther than that.. Like.. Secretly admiring since the 9th grade.

He looked over at me, probably noticing me staring and raised a brow as he waved slightly. Of course, being the non-smooth guy I was, I looked back down quickly. My cheeks flushing slightly so I just began scribbling words again.

He sat a couple seats away from me. I wasn't sure if I was happy he sat away from me or sad that he didn't sit in the open seat next to me. I can't blame him, who would?

The rest of the day went slow, same old same old. I wrote poems in my notebook not paying too much attention in class. I didn't speak to anyone. Sat with the basketball team at lunch, still didn't say much except for some small agreements and a couple small smiles here and there in between bites of my food. Next thing I knew it was game time.

Josh's POV

My friends and I all headed up to the gymnasium for the opening home game tonight. We sat on the bleachers in the back and joked around as usual. I tapped a couple pencils on the bench in front of me, a habit I did often in school. One that usually got on teacher's and other student's nerves.. I could care less. I hated being away from my drumset. My friend nudged me in the side.

"You gonna do that the whole game, Josh? Or are you going to actually pay attention.." he grumbled.

I just scoffed. "Like you're going too?" I retorted.

"Touche.. But still man, everytime I see you, you're tapping away at some beat." I just shrugged and continued.

I usually create beats in my head during school all the time then I'll go home and actually try them out. Sometimes they don't always work out, but that's okay.

At some point a certain brown haired kid caught my attention.

"Hey isn't that the kid from our first hour?" I asked pointing to him.

"Oh, him? Yeah. I don't know his name.. He's quiet as hell.. Kinda weird he just writes in his notebook all day."

"He's really good.." I commented watching him warm up.

After 4 quarters passed the game was over. That kid.. He was downright sick! He practically won the game for our school.. I think I'll tell him tomorrow in first period how good he did. I wanted to be his friend, I decided. I furrowed my brows in question as he was pulled away from the other teammates by the coach. He was.. Scolding him..? What for?

"Hey.." I said getting my friend's attention. "Why's the coach yelling at him for? He did amazing, if I knew anything about basketball I'd say he won this game for everyone tonight."

"The coach is his Dad I think.. Hardcore basketball person.. From what the other teammates say his dad's wanting him to go pro after getting a scholarship to college.. Basketball is the only thing he has going for him. I can see why.." He snorted.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I questioned with a smalls scowl.

"I mean.. He's kind of weird.. If it wasn't for basketball I'm sure he wouldn't be going anywhere with his life."

"Dude.. Not cool." I said getting up. I was going to talk to this guy. Congratulate him or something.

When I was walking over to him he shoved his gym bag over his shoulder and walked swiftly by me. His shoulder bumping into mine as he did. He grumbled a sorry, but he kept moving.

"Told ya Josh!" my friend called from up on the bleachers.

I rolled my eyes as I turned around. A paper had fallen from the boys gym bag. I picked it up, but when I looked around to give it back he was already gone. I decided to hold onto it until tomorrow.

Later that night, I looked at the folded piece of paper on my desk next to my school bag. I wasn't sure if I should open it or not.. I'm sure it's something personal.. Something he probably doesn't want anyone reading.

Nonetheless, my curiosity got the better of me. I got up from my bed and crossed the room to the paper. I opened it slowly and looked down at the words scribbled on the paper.

Once again I step inside my shoes

A battle now for every single thing I do

And I don't care because I don't have a clue

I see you close all the windows in my room

And tell me how I am comfortable inside this broken tainted skin that I'm in

I can't win

I need you to break me up break me down to the sound

So I can pray that someone hears me now

I just pray that someone hears me now