Chapter 3: Shidare no Bushi

Start from the beginning

"Hey guys! Look at this loser!" a boy about her age sneered in her direction. He wore a brown canvas shirt with dark pants, his eye-length bronze hair framing around his round face. "Oi! What are you doing out here by yourself, girl?"

Shiro didn't respond, though she knew he was addressing her; she didn't feel like acknowledging anyone, especially someone so indecent.

"He's talking to you, aku (scum)!" a boy next to him barked at her; she heard their crunching footsteps in the fresh snow, signaling their advancement on her.

"Why does she have those swords?" another boy added in, his dirty blond hair half covering his hazel eyes. "It's not like a girl can use them or anything!"

"C'mon, little girl!" the first boy taunted as he stood in front of her, his body looming over her scrawny one. "Show us what you've got!"

Shiro had no choice but to respond.

"I'd rather not humiliate any of you..." her tiny voice peeped.

The expressions on the boys' faces resembled something of shock mixed with rage, contorted so that the corner of their lips were pulled up in an obvious sight of disgust.

"Don't you go talking tough, you little rat," the head boy snarled as he reached down and grabbed a handful of her linen dress. He pulled her up by her collar, making her weak body sway a little. "You're just a little orphan!"

Shiro's eyes widened in surprised, a shimmer of disbelief reflecting off of them.

"W-wha - ?"

"What do you know about fighting?" he sneered as she thrust her back down against the wall, her body thumping off of the hard wood. "You're only a girl!"

Shiro's head was tipped down, her mind overflowing with the memories of her father, her mother, and Yoru...

Her body shook as she gripped both of her hands together in front of her bony chest, her shoulder-length white hair covering her face as the wind came and blew the locks gently.

"Look at her!" the brown-haired boy called over his back to his followers. "Crying like this on the streets! Serve her right for talking tough to us! Such scum shouldn't talk to her superiors like that!"

"Urusai!" a sudden growl ripped through her throat.

The boys all leaped back in shock. Shiro slowly looked up at them, her white hair falling to the side as she peeked past the snowy curtains. Her charcoal eyes burned with hatred, wide and menacing.

"What's wrong with you?!" the brown-haired boy raged as he scowled. "Growling like that! You sound like the animal you really are! Didn't your parents teach you any better to be growling like that?!"

"Did your parents..." Shiro slowly pushed herself up off the ground, shaking violently. She was shorter than all three boys, but by the looks of their trembling, she overpowered them immensely. "Did your parents...ever teach you to bite your tongue?"

The shaking brown-haired boy gave a quivering smirk, an attempt to look cruel.

"You're the one who should being biting your tongue." He took a giant step forward and pushed her back hard into the wall. "Talking tough like that!"

"Let's give her a lesson!" the dirty blond boy suggested, his fist slamming into his palm. "Show her how we don't take insults from puny scum like her!"

The three boys advanced on Shiro, her eyes gazing downward as she stood slumped against the wooden wall, an empty look glazing her still features. They shouted at her as they reached out their grubby hands towards her, clenched in fists and swiping at her furiously. Their voices could be heard down the empty road, the snow falling down peacefully as the sound of skin-on-skin contact echoed off of the still walls and seeped into the cracks under the desolate doors. It was obvious everyone could hear the clamor that uncurled, but no one came to her aid as her blood splattered out onto the white snow.