Chapter One

Chapter One- Why I Hate Mondays

I hate Mondays with a passion. Hate is a very strong word, I know, but Monday deserves it. The early morning light was streaming through my window and hitting me directly in the face. It wasn't that happy sunshine people in commercials wake up to, it was blinding rays of pain. I hurriedly pulled the covers back over my head and ignored my alarm clock, but the increasing volume made it a difficult task. Just as I was about to hit the snooze button and pretend it had malfunctioned, the door to my room was opened and a wet object was thrown on top of me.

"Ahhh! Geez dog, get off of me!" I yelled as my dog, Honey, attacked my face with slobbery dog kisses. I'd had Honey since forever; I couldn't remember not having her running around the house.

"Look who decided to go run in the sprinklers this morning and then woke me up the exact same way? All because someone forgot to close the dog door!" I could remember time without that though. My mom had become pretty hostile towards me in the last year; I was seen as a burden. My parents didn't think they were able to have kids after four miscarriages, but then they had me. Apparently parenthood with me wasn't what they'd expected.

"The dog?" I guessed cautiously. When Mom was up in the morning even breathing too loud was a punishable offence.

"Your dog, the one you begged me to get you, that you said you would take care of, but I end up doing everything." she confirmed my guess with an icy stare as well. "And speaking of your responsibilities, you were supposed to be up and getting ready for school fifteen minutes ago." I glanced at my clock and saw that she was right.

"Crap," I said under my breath, only to receive another disapproving stare. "Sorry." I really wasn't, but I wasn't going to tell her that. I quickly got dressed in a pair of jeans and a batman t-shirt. I put on some mascara and slipped on my yellow and black toms. My hair fell in gentle waves past my shoulders. After brushing my teeth and eating a quick breakfast I looked myself over once more before grabbing my phone and back pack. I rushed to my dad's car and jumped in as he was pulling out of the garage. The 2004 jeep wrangler was a neon shade of green, Dad's favorite. "Can I hitch a ride?"

"Sure thing, kiddo. You were kinda late getting up today. Mondays?"

"Mondays." I nodded my head and answered his question. That was what I loved about my dad. He didn't push me, or ask questions, I just had to say one word and he understood me. We sat in a comfortable silence on the way to my school and we said goodbyes as I jumped out of the car and skipped up the front steps to the cafeteria doors. Once inside I glanced over the tables to find where my friends were seated. As I walked towards them I heard my name called by others who knew me well and I looked over and said hello back.

"Kimbo! Did you do anything fun this weekend? Why didn't you answer you phone when I called to see if you wanted to go to the mall?" Karoline jumped up to hug me and held my shoulders as she talked. We had just become friends this year because it was my first year at this school, but we were already really close.

"It was an Uncle Phil weekend, Karoline." That was all I had to say. Twice a month I went to spend the weekends with my Uncle Phil. He actually had several houses, so I would fly from the Dallas airport to the nearest one to his current residence. I didn't actually know how he had so many houses, or such cool stuff. He never talked about his job at all, I just knew that I loved him a lot and wished that I could live with him all the time.

The day went by pretty quickly. English to choir, choir to science and so on. Then I had PE. For a girl who actually likes school and learning, it might seem as if I would hate this class, but I loved it. The running and especially games where you could tag people out were so much fun for me. But when I walked in, the kids weren't running their usual laps around the gym. Coach was standing in the front of the gym holding a bow, and an arrow. I quickly changed into my PE clothes and ran to join the rest of the group.