TWENTY-SEVEN: The Two of Them Went Full On Geek

“Now blow out the candles and make a wish!” My mom yelled, clamping a hand on my shoulder. I leaned towards the birthday cake and blew them out. This year my mom had decided to get a candle in the shape of eighteen instead of planting eighteen individual candles. All my friends and family cheered. Oh, and my step-dad—Alejandro—and his three kids.

“GREAT! Cake now?” Joel asked eagerly. Oliver smacked him playfully on the head. Even Scarlett was there, her belly more round than ever. It was mid-November and it was my birthday…uh, duh. She chuckled quietly and did her best to stick by her brother.

“No. Alexis must take a bite out of the cake first,” My mom said firmly. I didn’t want to because it was tradition to dunk the person’s face into the cake. But my mom refused to let anyone touch the cake unless I publicly humiliated myself. Pushing my pride away, I sucked in my breath and proceeded to take a bite out of the cake.

“DO IT!” Someone shouted and I felt my head being thrust into the cake. The hand was gentle and they immediately pulled back so that I wouldn’t actually smoosh the cake.

“CAS!” Another person yelled, disappointed. “You were supposed to SHOVE her in the cake not pretend to.” I looked up and saw James looking down at Cas. He had a funny expression on his face as if he were trying not to sneeze or solving a hard math question. But then I mainly focused on Cas, who was smiling gently at me, his eyes so green in the sunlight of the park.

“Happy birthday, Sugar Cube,” He said and everyone clapped. Wanting to avoid the oncoming tsunami of people wanting cake, I slinked off the park bench and made my way to the swings. On a Sunday afternoon in November you wouldn’t expect many kids. And there weren’t. We were the only crazy people eager enough to make a birthday party outside. Hoisting myself up onto one of the swings, I kicked my legs out and began swinging. I hated social events more than I hated Genesus, who had stopped bothering me so much. Gods knew it was only because she was planning something new.

“Mind if a join you?” Someone asked. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the cold, bitter wind blowing through my hair.

“Sure,” I said, not caring who it was. The air beside me was disturbed when that person starting swinging. Opening one eye, I looked to see who it was. It was my step-sister. She was only younger than me by two days.

“Hey, Alexis.” I gripped the handles of the swing harder, not really wanting to engage in conversation with her. We hardly saw each other, anyways. So what was the point in bonding with her?

“Hello, Eileen.” I finally replied, opening both eyes. She smoothed down her straight brown hair and I noticed that her mouth was in a thin line.

“I know we don’t talk much or at all…but I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. And also...I wanted to ask about Cas. I don’t remember him. Did I miss something?” I blinked in response, confused as to what she was getting at.

“What I mean is…I know who he is...but people say Cas had been here three years ago before moving to Missouri. It’s just that, I went to the same school as you during that time and not once did I know who Castel Simons was,” She explained, her cheeks flushing with color. “It’s weird, I know, but I remember everyone but I don’t remember Cas.”

I finally realized what she was talking about. The memory the golden book had planted in people’s head when Cas had appeared had been of him coming back from Missouri after three years. They had thought he had been here before but had moved away for a short while. The one thing I was grateful for—and hated—was the memory changing. Sometimes I got caught off guard when people talked about Cas’ old house or how he used to be the most adorable little boy ever. Or when people who didn’t live in our community didn’t understand what everyone was talking about. Like Eileen.