FIVE: You Don't Know What Love Is, Either

• Dedicated to The boy I stopped loving

I backed up against an empty bathroom stall and faced Genesus. I wasn't going to cower. Not this time. The thought of getting Cas back for me drove me to stand my ground—even if it was a sorry sight. When Genesus narrowed her brown eyes at me and put her dainty hands on her hips, I realized something: she wasn't thought to be perfect. She was thought to be intimidating—and to guys she was about to prey on, really nice and sweet. Her raven-black hair was frizzy, her body figure wasn't as thin as a stick, and she was really, really tall. The only reason she was popular was because she had won her way there by being a bitch. That's just how it was done.

"So I heard you were talking to my boyfriend?" She finally spat out, her red lips curling in disgust.

"I thought Joel was your boyfriend. Plus, I didn't know," I said back weakly. So much for acting brave.

I hated that about me. I could never tell Genesus what she was to her face. My voice turned squeaky, and I felt the need to cower. Genesus laughed and flipped her hair over her right shoulder. I swear she must've practiced doing that at least one-hundred times a day.

"Well now you know. I’ll let you off this time. Only because I’m in a good mood, considering that the hottest boy in school is mine. You can have Joel now." But the way she narrowed her eyes when she said that meant I had better go running in the opposite direction whenever I saw Joel...or else.

With that, she seemed satisfied and took one more look in the mirror before trying to skirt past me. I did something impulsive. I reached out and grabbed her arm. Suddenly, anger was frothing inside of me. I was tired of her treating me like that for no good reason. I was tired of her taking away every single person in my life. If I didn't stand up to myself, no one else was.

"You need to leave me alone. Seriously? Just because your tiny brain sucks at doing the homework I didn't let you copy? Is that why you keep being such a huge bitch that takes everyone I love away from me using threats? How immature, Genesus.” Saying this aloud filled me with more courage to keep going.

“And,” I went on, gripping her arm tighter. “Cas is going to break up with you. I just know it. He’s mine.” My heart was hammering away in my chest; its loudness filled my ears. I was afraid that if she could hear how hard it was pumping, then she’d know how scared I really was.

Genesus pushed me away and her nostrils flared with rage.

"You don't get it do you?" She hissed. "I told Adriana what the consequences would be but she didn't care. Just like she doesn't care about you.” When I stared blankly back at her, my hand falling back to my side, her anger fizzled out and turned into confidence.

“Oh, Alexis, why do you think I let her hang out with you? I let her pretend she cares about you like a real friend would. Has she told you why I outcast you? Has she?"

I felt dizzy. A dull, washed out anger roared through my veins. What right did Genesus have to bring Adriana into this? Then I remembered what she had tried to tell me the day we had found the book. That Genesus was picking on me because of her. Could it actually be true? All of a sudden, I felt weak and deflated. It had been stupid of me to yell at Genesus. All I did was upset her, and I would pay for it later.

"Tell me why. Please," I begged, tears streaming down my face.

I needed to know why she was making my life a living hell. But Genesus only sneered at me and moved towards the exit again.

"I feel bad. Really, I do."

She gave me a pitiful look and left me alone in the bathroom. I was whimpering and hugging myself. Locking myself in a stall, I cried my loser heart out. Had Adriana really caused this? Had she ignored Genesus' warnings knowing I would pay for it? When at last I had no more tears to give, I washed my face in the sink and took a deep breath. At least I still had Maribel…right?