CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: This Is Crazy But I Love It

"So, tell me more about how you feel right now," Said the therapist, her strawberry blonde hair pulled into a ponytail.

I sat up in the chair and stared at her. "Is this really supposed to help me?"

"Yes. That's why you have to make use of your time," She said calmly. She never lost her patience.

"Well, I feel like I'm in a bubble made out of betrayal and I walk in it every day and everyone’s staring at me, wondering what's wrong. Sometimes I wish they knew what was wrong, that they'd have sympathy for me. But then I hate myself for that. I don't want other's sympathy," I continued at last, my cardigan sweater making me feel like I was dying in the hot, stuffy room.

"I see. Are there people who know about your problem besides your mother?"

"Yes. My two friends. No one else knows anything. They just think he and my other 'friend' moved at the same time for an educational reason." The therapist nodded gravely and clicked her pen.

"Your mother tells me that you lock yourself in your room for days. She said that you refused to come out when this boy called her, telling her to give you the phone. Do you think maybe he wanted to apologize?"

"No," I said flatly, tugging on my sleeve with my free hand. "Not at all."

***

Freeing myself from Cas' grip, I stumbled outside. The frigid night air pulled me out of my shock momentarily. But not enough to take my horror away. Isaac had started to make his way towards me, his face confused. Genesus had told him I was there. But she hadn't known about his betrayal...but she did know we had dated. Maybe her plan was to see if I would react if she told my ex I was at his party. It had worked.

Sulking teenagers stood outside, leaning against the porch railing and smoking cigarettes. I moved away from them and walked to the back of the house. I heard Cas calling my name. I thought I would be able to handle it--no, that was I lie, I had known all along this would happen. Making my way through the narrow alley that led to the backyard, I caught sight of Isaiah leaning against the wall. He pushed himself away from it once he saw me coming and sauntered over. My instincts told me to turn and run, but my brain told me to stay and face him.

"I knew you'd head to the backyard. See, I still know you quite well." His lips turned at the corners and he stuffed his hands in his pockets. I had been wrong about his eyes hardening over the years. They looked more vulnerable now. Maybe he had just been acting in the house. Then again, he'd been acting during our relationship.

"No. You just guessed where I would go. I could've as easily gone home."

"You're right. But I knew you'd go to the backyard," he said firmly, as if there were no argument.

My breath shook as I exhaled and Isaac tensed.

"You're wary of me," he noted. "Please don't be. I made a mistake. I can be responsible for that." Oh, no. We weren't going there.

"I'm not wary of you, Isaac--as you like to be called now, I suppose." We had a mini stare-down before he put his hands out in front of him in an I-mean-no-harm gesture.

"I didn't come here to make you miserable, Alexis. I came here because a series of misfortunate events led me to come live with my aunt."

"Oh, really? What's that? You and May finally broke up and you couldn't stand to see her?"

A look of hurt flashed across his face. What right did he have to look hurt? He kicked at a loose pebble on the floor, the sound echoing slightly in the narrow alley. I didn’t want to snap at him like I was doing now, not when I had been so afraid of his return. But now that I had him in front of me I felt more hatred than anything else; I couldn’t stop my spiteful words from tumbling out. I wanted him to feel guilty.