Chapter 38 - A Snotty Yes

"What?" I asked confused as I stared at Jack who looked shocked.

He obviously hadn't realised he had said that out loud by the look of sheer shock he had plastered on his face. You could almost see the wheels turning in his head as his forehead creased while looking at me. He stood hurriedly and walked away. I sat, still in the same place, looking confused staring at the space Jack had recently vacated.

Did he just ask me to marry me and then walk away?

I looked up and saw Ethan staring at me also.

"What just happened?" I asked him.

"I can't be sure but I think, I think he just asked to marry you and then backed out." Ethan explain while helping me stand.

"That's what I thought happened too." I said to Ethan.

The room spun a little as I tried to focus my vision to the step I was trying to make.

I looked up and saw everybody standing in the lounge looking at me confused. I walked into the living room to sit on the couch to process the "Proposal", when the sound of the front door opening stopped me. I turned and saw a very determined Jack walking purposefully towards me. Everyone had taken a couple of steps back and waited in silence.

Jack took a knee before me and I felt the temperature of the room spike.

"This isn't how I planned on asking you to marry me, I just need you to know that. I had an elaborate proposal set and everything, I promise." He paused and took a shaky breath in. He looked down towards his feet as though to gather his composure before he looked back up at me. "I-I knew from the moment I helped you to get your zip down I wanted to be with you. And when we both became legal guardians to Lily, I knew I was going to marry you someday, I could feel it deep down within me that you were the one. And then when you told me you were pregnant everything was telling me to hurry up and ask you. I've been a bit of a prick lately but I promise I can be better; I will be better. I love you so much and now I'm blabbing. So, Cameron Alexandria Henderson, will you marry me?"

He pulled out a box from his hoodie pocket and lifted the lid to show me a beautiful diamond ring.

Tears were freely running down my face at this point and snot was starting to run out of my nose, if I was being honest I was scared that it might drop onto him. I blinked a couple of times and realised he was waiting for an answer.

"Alright then." I agreed.

A wide smile grew on his face and he slid the ring onto my left finger.

I loud cheer erupted and Jack got off his knee to kiss me, snotty face and all.

"I love you." I said as I embraced him.

"I love you too. Just to confirm that was a yes?" Jack asked as he pulled away.

I laughed as I saw the hesitation on his face.

"Yes, you bloody idiot!"

The rest of the night was spent celebrating, quietly, as to not wake up the children.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up in the arms of my fiancé and I couldn't shake the smile that erupted on my face. It felt oddly right to call Jack my fiancé, like it was meant to be all along. I had woken up yesterday morning a single girl and I went to sleep engaged!

I was beyond excited to tell Lily when she woke up.

I had a lot to think about. Like, when would I get married? Would I wait until after the baby arrived or would I get married soon, so I wouldn't walk up the isle looking like a fat oompa lumpa? Just the thought of planning a wedding was making me sick to my stomach.

I lifted Jack's arm off me gently as not to wake him and waddled to the bathroom. I hadn't eaten in a while and the baby decided to punish me for it. 

I started to dry heave into the toilet when the remnants of yesterdays lunch came launching out of my mouth. The bowl was coated in what looked to be orange looking road kill, as I cringed at the sight.

After a few more moments of dry heaving, I decided to take a seat and wait out the nauseous feeling that had blanketed me.

I cold tiles were an unexpected welcome to my hot flesh as I sunk down onto my bottom. I pulled toilet paper from the holder before wiping my mouth clean. The acidic taste in my mouth a reminder that pregnancy is not for the faint hearted. 

I sat in this position for a good thirty minutes before I even considered lifting my head to move. 

Another bout of nausea hit me and out came the acidic taste of bile. I groaned in mercy and waited for the moment to pass. I was glad when it was finally over. I decide to lie down in the hope that this awful feeling would pass.

I closed my eyes and thought about what I could eat that wouldn't be completely horrible when it came back up. Crackers seemed to always do the trick.

After mulling over the idea of crackers, I decided I should probably put something in my tummy.

I opened my eyes and was frightened by the sight of Jack standing over me.

"Jesus! Jack what are you doing?" I asked from my position on the floor.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked as he crouched down to place a hand on my forehead.

"Yes, just really hungry." I said as I signalled for him to help me sit up. He nodded and rounded me to help move me into a sitting position.

"When did you last eat?" Jack asked as I he pulled me to a standing position.

"I...can't remember." I whispered knowing he was going to give me a brow beating.

"You...can't...remember. WOW!" He exclaimed while turning to me sharply.

"I'm sorry, I should have remembered." I leaned forward and gave him a quick peck on the lips before moving around him to go to the kitchen. He looked stunned. Most probably because I had just admitted I was in the wrong first without picking a fight. I'm learning to pick my battles and besides I was in the wrong.

See, I can be an adult sometimes.

"Wait, what?" Jack asked confused as I rummaged through Ethan and Tilly's cupboard for crackers. "'I'm sorry.' How did that taste coming out your mouth?"

"Like vinegar. Can you reach up there and get those crackers, please?" I turned to face him and saw him wearing a sexy as sin grin.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Merry Christmas!

Maria
xoxo