Chapter 19 - La La Land

Start from the beginning

I would have to try my best to be normal. That was the only hope I had to avoid triggering my mother’s worry and curiosity.  

In the kitchen, I put on enough coffee for two and sit down on the couch while I wait for it to brew. With the remote, I flipped the channel to fifty-seven and started watching the Travel Channel. Man vs. Food was on and I was glad that it was. The host of the show, Adam, could ease the tension in any room with his infectious and admirable personality.

There were subtle footsteps and even though a month had gone by since the incident, I jerked upright in the couch. I turned around to see my mother yawning in her yellow robe and walking towards the coffee pot. 

I did something to take my mind off the startled beats of my heart and avoid suspicion. 

“How come you’re up so early?” I ask. She had the day off and she hadn’t slept in. 

“Early? It’s eleven thirty in the morning Evelyn. How come you aren’t at school?” She was in the middle of the question and looking right at me. I had no idea that it was almost noon. How come Jake hasn’t called or anything? 

“I, um, overslept.” I lied. She scrutinized my face.

“Sure.” She dismisses it and reaches for the already brewed coffee. She’s onto you, Evelyn. I told myself. 

“Come have coffee with me, sweetie.” My mom says and I get up to walk over to her and sit in front of her in the counter. What was I supposed to do? Say no?  

The coffee that was in the mug on the counter was for me and it was already prepared with some hazelnut creamer; my favorite.  

As I sat in front of my mother, I avoided her gaze. I knew she was studying me and I couldn’t bring myself to see her as she did so. It felt as if I was back in that police office a month ago where people had been studying and questioning me. I hoped with all I could that my mother would not question me... 

“You’ve been weird lately.” She stated and sipped her coffee. I had assumed lately had meant yesterday and today. I knew I couldn’t escape her but I’d be damned if I didn’t try. Here comes the act...

I furrow my eyebrows.

“Really? How so?” I fake confusion and innocence. 

“Cut the crap, Evelyn. There’s something wrong. You’ve been sulking since yesterday morning.” Well, she was accurate. 

“No I haven’t, mom.” I denied her. 

“Is something wrong with Jacob?” 

“Nope.”  

“Then what the hell’s the matter?” 

“Nothing!” My voice had somehow risen.  

“You’re giving yourself away right there, Ev. You never raise your voice at me.” Shit! 

“Sorry.” 

“Just tell me what’s wrong. I thought we had an agreement to tell each other when something has been bothering us. I can’t help you if I don’t know what wrong.”  

“I have nothing to say, mom. There’s nothing wrong.” I felt a slight movement come from me. 

“There goes another dead giveaway, hun. You just did your famous hand-through-the-hair lie shake. You. Can’t. Lie! It’s impossible for you to lie to me so tell me what’s wrong. Now!” She was frustrated and so was I. Couldn’t she see I didn’t want to talk? 

I stood up and walked into the bathroom. 

“Evelyn! Don’t walk away from me!”  

In the trash can, carefully wrapped in toilet paper, was the pregnancy test. The result would be long gone but she’s have the idea. I wouldn’t have to tell her.