Chapter 11

I try to wring the water from my hair, the droplets falling to the dark forest floor. I shed my soaking wet cloak, desperate to get rid of the frigid water weighing me down.
Bert's cry echoes through my brain.

It's my fault. I should have helped him.

I pick up the nearest stone, my numb fingers gripping its jagged surface.

We could have defeated them.

My knuckles turn white as I clench it.

Will they ever stop?

I grunt with frustration, tossing the stone into the icy river, sending droplets in all directions.

The shuffling of feet through the undergrowth redirects my attention. A shivering Amelia trudges towards me, her smile damper than usual.

"The others are looking for you." She says, wrapping her arms around her chest.

I snatch my cloak from the ground, turning my back on her. "How can you smile? Bert is dead, we lost all our supplies, our horses. We might as well waltz over to the gallows ourselves."

She comes closer, leaning over my shoulder as if trees themselves might try to listen.

"Because I know we'll get revenge," she says in low voice before turning and heading back through the bushes. Her words surprise me, coming from someone usually so lighthearted.

The whole world seems to weigh me down as I consider the same words that have been lingering in the back of my head for years. I take a deep breath, allowing the smell of wet wood from the evergreen forest to penetrate me and trudge through the foliage.
...

The mercenary curses everybody and their mother as he paces with heavy feet through the mud. "Well, this is just perfect. How could anyone possibly think an insane old sot like him could stand up to those men? Now because of that, we lost all our supplies! I could have ripped them apart by my self!"

Malcolm's strong brows slant at his comment. He charges towards Fletcher like a bull after blood, grabbing him by the collar with enough force to disorientate even the strongest men.

"Listen you filthy swine," he says, spittle flying from his mouth. "You have no idea what those men are capable of. They are merciless bastards. You stood no more chance than the old man." Malcolm's eyes are a mixture of fear, anger, and pure disgust. He shoves Fletcher back violently, showing his bulging dark muscles.

Fletcher's ego takes over as he pushes himself up and trudges angrily back to Malcolm. He still looks menacing, despite the significant height difference between the two.

"Bah, just because your to yellow to do anything, doesn't mean they're indestructible. I could have taken 'em both alone!" One of the scars across his face starts to twitch. "What makes them so special, huh?"

To all of us, Malcolm days in a low voice. "They have black magic." Concerned looks go around. "That's how they found us."

"And how exactly would you know that?" Fletcher says bluntly.

He hesitates. "Because I experienced it firsthand."

There is a long silence, interrupted only by a hooting owl in the distance. "Well, that's just perfect now, isn't it?" Fletcher finally says, clenching his jaw. "Now we have to deal with black magic, and cowards like you."

Malcolm readies his fist, veins bulging in his neck.

"Okay, everyone stop," Keath says, the irritation clear in his voice. "They are still out there, and you two are going on like children. We have to move. So swallow your pathetic pride, so that we don't get killed." He glances at me with the last sentence, before gathering his things. I bite my lower lip, almost drawing blood. This is hopeless.

"Watch your tongue, boy," the mercenary snarls. Keath's stony expression stays hard, like a gargoyle doomed to frown for all eternity.

"In case you have forgotten, I have orders from the King to eliminate any of you who fails to cooperate."

Fletcher guffaws, tears of laughter brimming in his eyes. Disgust rises like bile in my throat at the sight of these men. The hunters could find us any moment, and they are arguing.

"You can't do anything to me, you pipsqueak. You might be a so-called knight, but you don't have the guts to slit another man's throat in cold blood." He snarls. "You are no man."

Keath clenches his left fist, shaking with rage. "If that is what you associate manhood with, I wouldn't want to be a man."

He leaves it at that, picking up his own jacket and starts walking down the river. "Come on, we have a long way to go."
...

The sun peeks over the tall trees, teasing me with the comfort of sunlight. My legs ache from hours of walking through the thick foliage, wishing I still had my annoyance of a steed.

"Why can't we walk just walk on the path?" Aiden complains.

"We don't want them to find us again, the road is too risky," Keath says, almost tripping over a rock.

Fletcher rolls his eyes. "Well, it didn't work last time. And it doesn't matter if they can find us with their 'black magic'."

He ignores the remark, continuing to lead us into the unknown. "This time, I know where we are going. There is a small mining village a few miles from here. We should be able to get supplies and new horses."

Something crumbles under my foot. I look down, only to see a heap of recently used charcoal. "Someone was here."
The abandoned fire is surrounded by a few old logs that were most likely used as stools.

Keath doesn't pay much attention to it. "A lot of travelers prefer to travel through the woods," he says nonchalantly.

I kick the black pieces of charcoal into powder. "I guess you're right."

------------------------------------------------------
A/N

You guys are awesome, really. Sorry for taking so long to update. Thanks so much for reading, remember to vote if you enjoy! 😜😎

Lots of love
Katja💖