Chapter 41- Another Enemy

Eryn had climbed up into a cluster of rocks where she could see the surrounding countryside from a relatively hidden position. So she had seen what Derrel and the Guardians had missed being inside the fortress. She had seen the rift in the very air surrounding the Keep. In horror she had watched the hordes surge into the brightening light of dawn. Requel and Amber had joined her to see. There was no discussion between them. Requel leaped down and raced to the demon who lay still in the netting. She yanked the cord that started the unraveling process. She met his eyes for only a moment and was satisfied the message had been received, his face betraying his worry at being caught unable to defend himself. He immediately set to work loosening the unraveling strands as the girls raced from their shelter toward the city.

Amber stopped them finally, out of breath and snatched the horse from her pocket. It grew instantly and the others followed suit climbing into the saddles and urging the horses to run. They could hear the noise increase behind them and kicked the horses yelling at them to run faster. The city was alive with people getting ready to work. They stopped in whatever they were doing as the noise grew. When the girls burst into the streets on horseback shouting to run, it was too much for the people panic gripping them. The girls sobbed as they saw their people scrambling and fighting to get into any building they could. If Zarlo let his demons into the city they didn't think an of these people would survive.

The howling fell farther behind them then steadied until they figured the demons were traveling parallel to them. The horses had to be walked then at a resting pace. They nervously headed east wondering if their friends had made it out. The edge of the city was deserted and they saw with sinking hearts their way to the coast was blocked. The demons must have traveled very quickly to be so thick in the land round about. Requel looked at her friends faces. They were terrified just as she but she knew one thing beyond a doubt.

"There's no hiding in the city now. We ride to the Southern Edge and the canyons beyond." The other two nodded hope flickering in Eryn's eyes if not Amber's. They rode at a canter through deserted streets hoping no demons were near. It felt like hours they rode through the city seeing a face peek out a building now and again, disappearing just as quick. The moaning could still be heard. Obviously Zarlo didn't care what happened now just as long as he didn't let Brielle get away. Tears trickled down Requel's face. They'd failed most assuredly and now all was lost. Yet she had to do something, wouldn't just give up. She'd get Eryn and Amber out. She hoped they could survive in the wilderness by themselves. She knew a few snares and Eryn had played with knives alongside Russel. She was a good throw and Amber knew tons of medical stuff from Skyler. They could survive.

The southern flatlands seemed clear but she knew there were dips and who knew what was hiding in the barley and wheat. They had no choice though and left the cities protection. Once they reached the wheat they put the horses back in their pockets for later and kept a scheduled pace of jogging through the plants and walking it off then jogging again. The fields stretched before them but the upright rocks that marked the edge of civilization grew closer and the maze of canyons there would loose their followers. It beckoned to them. They didn't know if there even would be pursuit but there was nowhere else to go.

It was getting dark by the time they reached the edge of the barley field. The border of the valley humans inhabited was closed off on all sides in one way or another. Supposedly there were guards patrolling but no one ever tried to leave. Stone overhead at night had been their only safety from the demons that roamed the dark so no one had wanted to leave their safe homes even to escape the harsh conditions of their lives. Now they had been shown it wasn't as dangerous as it was made out seem. Now they took the chance this night to see just what lay beyond the border rocks. Climbing them was an entirely different matter.