eight

Phil awoke to the smell of burning, yawning and rubbing his hands over his tired eyes. Dan and Phil had landed in Japan quite late, the couple too tired to start their honeymoon and instead falling asleep as soon as they reached their suite.

"Ow! This is why I'm going vegan!" Dan shouted.

Phil held in a laugh at the sound of his husband's voice, throwing on a shirt (which happened to be Dan's) and sauntered into the kitchen area to find Dan with his back turned to him and a finger in a cup of ice. Phil eyed him.

Dan looked exhausted, Phil's sweatshirt on him and his hair a mess of curls. Phil cleared his throat and Dan whipped around. He opened his mouth to explain when he let his eyes run over Phil's figure, raising an eyebrow.

Phil spoke up first. "I didn't know you had curly hair."

"That is my shirt." Dan huffed, ignoring him and drying his finger off.

"And that's my sweatshirt," Phil retorted with a playful smirk on his face. "So what are you cooking? Did Gordon Ramsay storm through here?"

Dan rolled his eyes, crossing his arms and stepping out of the way of the stove. "I attempted to make you breakfast," he explained, holding up a plate of burnt bacon and eggs. "I am not the best at cooking."

And oh no, because Phil felt his face heat over and this doesn't happen- Phil Lester does not blush over anybody! Except maybe Dan Howell, but. . .

"Y-you. . . That's really nice, actually." Phil was ran speechless at the fact that Dan was trying to be romantic. Sure, it failed, but there was an attempt. "We can just go out for breakfast. I'm sure you're hungry anyway."

"Right, I will go change then-"

"No, keep my sweatshirt on. It's cute," Phil flirted, sauntering off and leaving Dan's cheeks to redden. "Although an apron that read 'Kiss The Cook' would be better if it meant I'd have the excuse to."

"You don't need an apron to determine if you can kiss me," Dan spoke nonchalantly, and they both froze upon realizing what Dan meant. "I mean- well- we're married so I guess you can kiss me."

"I'll kiss you when we're both ready. I mean jeez, take me on a date first," Phil joked, still keeping his back to his husband to hide his blush. Dan opened his mouth to speak until Phil cut him off. "I mean a real date that your parents don't force us to go on. Your parents have controlled your life since you were born and I'm tired of it, you're an adult and you need to make your own decisions for once. Now, go get ready and dress how the hell you want- no suits and ties."

Dan was struck silent as Phil disappeared to change, Dan quickly going to change after. He put on a simple shirt and jeans and felt more like himself than he had ever been because for once in his life, he was doing something for himself. He was being himself and was accepted for that.

"Ready to go?" Phil questioned after walking in.

"Where?"

"The tallest tower in Japan of course. The Tokyo Skytree."

"I'm not fond of heights-"

Phil simply shrugged and they headed out.

Standing in the elevator that was heading 29 floors up the building was terrifying. Dan's ears popped, his heart was racing, and honestly he'd rather admire the flew of the metal closed doors of the elevator in here rather than look out the window and see how far his fall would be when his clumsy self somehow fell off the building.

The doors opened and Dan instantly felt nauseous upon spotting the transparent walls, giving a view of the city beneath them. Phil, on the other hand, was in awe and running out the elevator, pressing his nose and hands against the glass as he looked down.

"Dan! Dan! Look how pretty this is!"

Dan breathed in heavily as he tried to keep his vomit in, hobbling over to his child-like husband and daring to look down before deciding it was too much and looking at his feet instead. "Yeah. . . haaaa, it's great. . ."

"Are you really that scared? I'm sorry, I didn't think it'd make you feel sick. Do you think you're gonna puke? We can go back down, or maybe there's a bathro-"

"Phil, it's fine. Just freaks me out a little, that's all."

"Would holding hands help you?" Phil questioned. Dan finally looked up at the blue-eyed boy to smile, nodding shyly. They intertwined hands and Dan felt extremely odd but in a good way. He wasn't used to any physical contact, especially one that was considered intimate. He didn't realize how much he liked cuddles or hugs or any of that stuff until he met Phil. Phil helped him realize what he had really been missing out on.

Now all that's left is kissing and- yeah, the other part isn't going to happen for a long time. Dan exhaled and stood up straighter, facing his fears and properly looking out the window to see the view. It really was pretty, just terrifying and all.

It was sunrise now, some buildings already having their lights off and cars passing on the streets below. Dan wasn't so scared anymore, instead focusing on the feeling of Phil's thumb brushing over the top of his hand and pretending that they were the only two people up here.

Then Dan let his eyes wander from the view to a better one. He looked at Phil, letting his eyes capture every little detail- from the freckle on his neck to the pieces of hair brushing over his eyes. He no longer cared if Phil noticed, because he got to look at this every day. He was lucky to have him whether he'd like to admit it or not.

"It really is beautiful, isn't it?" Phil spoke, his voice gentle as he kept his eyes locked on the city.

Dan's eyes ran up and down, a small grin loose on his lips as he admired the eyecandy next to him.

So Dan, keeping his eyes on his spouse, smiled and replied.

"Yeah. It is."

But he was sure they weren't talking about the same thing.