I was gasping for breath by the time Phil pulled himself up again, his face mere centimetres away from mine. His eyes were so blue and quiet that I started crying all over again.

"Why are you crying?" He whispered, concerned.

"You eyes are so fucking beautiful." I choked pathetically.

At that they burst into a million sparkling diamonds amongst the sapphires as his whole face crinkled into a smile. Of course, that only made me cry all the harder.

"You're an idiot." He whispered as he leant down to kiss me once more.

*

We lay for a while on my floor, not wanting to let go of each other long enough to move to the bed, just kissing and hugging and saying nothing at all. I trailed my fingers along Phil's arm. He caressed my face and planted soft kisses into my neck and for once I didn't squirm.

"Look at us," Phil giggled suddenly. "We broke up for less than 24 hours and we're emotional wrecks."

I grinned weakly. "I think that's telling us something. Let's not break up ever again, okay?"

"I can live with that." Phil murmured. "Just try and keep your idiocy under control from now on, okay?"

"Kay," I smiled. "I'm really sorry, by the way. For everything."

"It's okay. You redeemed yourself, albeit by being a bit of an idiot and trying to kill yourself. Don't do that again please either." Phil said quietly.

"I won't if you don't." I agreed.

Phil didn't say anything, he just looked at me for a moment and then kissed my cheek softly. "Not while I have you."

I tangled my fingers in his hair.

*

"What did Knuckles actually say, to make you come back?" I murmured after a while.

"He just told me what happened," Phil shrugged. "And then he told me to go and to take you back because he seemed to think that you would jump in front of a train to save me. He said you'd be good to have around if I found myself on a desert island because you'd probably let me eat you."

I sniggered. "It's true though. I would."

"No you wouldn't, I'd stop you."

"You'd have to kill me."

"That would defeat the point. I'd tie you up in a cave and force feed you all my limbs one at a time until I died."

"Mmm, delicious. That would be stupid though because that would leave a whole torso and an arm gone to waste. It would be better just to eat me."

Phil punched me in the arm and I chuckled.

"Why didn't you tell me? About Knuckles?" I asked as I caught his fist, uncurling his fingers one by one and drawing swirls on his palm.

He watched me for a moment. "I didn't really see any reason to. It's his secret, I guess."

"What's your secret?" I asked softly.

He flashed me a crooked grin. "I don't have any anymore, I'm a recovering crack addict who tried to kill himself a couple of years ago."

"Crack?" I asked, my voice raising up a notch at the end.

He bit his lip.

"For a while," he said quietly. He's eyes were steady, his brow furrowed. "I was very young, I didn't understand but it helped. When I realised the difference I tried to stop, but it was hard."