Chapter 24

“Greg, I should go,” I said as I pulled myself closer to him on his bed.

He smiled as I pressed my lips to his. “No, you should stay.”

I laughed and shook my head. “We’ve been talking for five hours. People will be wondering about us. Besides, it’s almost time for dinner. I’m sure we’re all going to meet in the dining hall.”

Greg winked. “I think we’ve done a lot more than talking. Let them wonder! Think of this weekend as a romantic getaway.”

I kissed him quickly and sighed. “We have plenty of time for romance. But I have to remember this weekend isn’t about my love life, it’s about Sage’s.”

He pulled me closer to him. “Then let Sage have her love life.”

I giggled and kissed him again. “But really, Greg. I’ll go put on something nice, and you do the same, and then I’ll meet you downstairs where, hopefully, everyone else will be.”

Greg sighed and let me get out of bed. I started crossing the room to the door when he called from behind me, “Wait!”

I turned and asked, “What?”

He smirked and perked his lips out. I grinned and walked over and gently kissed him.

As I closed the door, he yelled from inside, “I love you!”

I laughed and called back, “I love you!” The biggest smile entered my face, and I felt the butterflies in my stomach.

Someone in the hallway coughed loudly to announce his or her presence. I turned quickly and almost died when I saw who it was.

“Hey,” he said meekly, not sure what kind of address was appropriate for me.

“Liam.”

He scratched the back of his head, feeling the awkwardness of the situation. “Um. How are you?”

I wasn’t in the mood for small talk. “What the hell was that today in the pool? You made Greg’s nose bleed!”

He stared at the ground. “If I told you the reason, you wouldn’t be happy.”

I rolled my eyes. “This is ridiculous, Liam. I was hoping both of us could be mature about everything that happened! You didn’t even apologize to him!”

Liam didn’t react to my anger, but replied in a monotone voice, “I’m sorry. I don’t know what came over me.”

I laughed sarcastically and rolled my eyes. “Right.”

He finally met my stare and took a step towards me. “Look, Emma, I don’t want to fight. Please, I need your forgiveness more than I need his.”

I shook my head. “That’s what we do best, right? Fight, fight, fight.”

He stood right in front of me and put his hand on my arm. “Please, Em. Please.”

I glanced down at his hand, and my heart started racing. I looked back into his pleading eyes and cleared my mind. “Leave my boyfriend alone.”

His anger finally showed through. “Dammit, Emma. I’m trying to set things right, but you don’t have the decency to even try and listen! It’s like nothing’s changed!”

I rolled my eyes and walked past him in the hall. “I’m not in the mood to argue.”

Liam grabbed my arm and made me turn and face him. “Look, Niall is one of my best mates. I promised him that I wouldn’t screw up his weekend, and I’m sure you promised something similar to Sage. So can we just forget about what happened eight freaking months ago and move on? I’ve missed my best friend, Em.” His eyes pleaded with me, as if he was expecting me to answer in the inside joke we shared.