Laid Bare

My lungs flooded with emotion as I stared at Elsie, I opened my mouth to speak but I couldn't form any words, instead I opted for a tight smile as I nodded at the blonde girl.

Freya eyed the two of us suspiciously and I could tell from the way that she pursed her lips that she wanted to say something. 

"Hey Elsie." She said instead as the head girl stepped aside and we walked into the house. She had obviously decided against bringing anything up now but I could tell by the way her eyes kept flickering between the two of us that I'd probably have to have a conversation about it with her at some point.

"Freya." Elise nodded in reply before offering the girl a warm smile. How did she seem so composed already?

"It's so busy in here already." Freya chuckled, quickly drawing everyones attention away from the awkward atmosphere that had arisen between us. 

I took the chance to finally take in my surroundings now that my heart rate had calmed down a little. The holiday house was filled with teenagers, although there seemed to mostly be girls from school at the party I noticed a large number of boys who were probably from the neighbouring school.

"I know," Elsie began. "The boys arrived about an hour ago, they brought most of our alcohol so I guess the party started when they came."

"That's cool, I haven't met many of the boys before. I've only been to a couple of parties." Freya said as looked over the groups of boys scattered around the room.

"Most of them are alright." Elsie commented with a bored shrug. "I know a lot of them but not as well as my friends do, Ana has been dating one of them on and off for a couple of years now so that's mainly how we all know each other."

Freya looked at me. "Seen anyone you like yet?" 

I could feel the heat of Elsie's gaze on me but I wasn't brave enough to look back at her. 

I cleared my throat and shrugged. "I don't know, we've only been here for like a minute."

Freya grabbed my wrist. "I'm a great wingwoman." She told me.

"That's great." I tried to sound enthusiastic.

"Come on," She sighed. "You have to tell me if there's a guy you like."

I rolled my eyes and probably would have smiled too if Elsie still wasn't stood next to us.

"You too, Elsie. See anyone you like, just tell me."

I quickly chanced a look at the blonde who held my gaze for a moment before turning to Freya and offering her a smile.

"Will do." Almost immediately after she said that it was as if someone had flipped a switch inside the head girl's head as her confident and laid back attitude returned. 

"Anyway, enough talk about boys." She began to walk through the crowded living room, she turned back to make sure Freya and I were following her. "Let's go get some drinks, they're in the kitchen."

We followed Elsie into the kitchen which surprisingly wasn't as busy as the rest of the party, a couple of small groups lingered around but it seemed like there was more fun to be had in other rooms of the house.

Elsie approached the kitchen counter were a couple of beer coolers sat, packed with ice and different bottles and cans of beer. 

She pulled out two bottles and handed one to me, as I took it from her our fingers brushed and our eyes met immediately. Quickly controlling her composure Elsie dragged her eyes away from mine and offered the second bottle to Freya.