Something More

I couldn't comprehend Elsie's seemingly sudden interest in me.

I watched intently as the girl opposite me threw her head back, a delightful laugh leaving her mouth as she listened to a story Freya was telling her.

Apart from the fact that she was my 'superior' as she was head girl, she had absolutely no reason to speak to me... So why had she started to try all of a sudden?

I nudged the food on my plate with a fork as I contemplated this.

Everyone knew that Elsie Sinclair was nice, she was nice to everyone. That's one of the reasons why she was head girl but she was also insanely rich, surely she'd rather spend her time with girls from that elite circle.

She had more in common with those girls than she had with me, even at boarding school we had entirely different lives. Most girls in our grade knew that Elsie and her friends occasionally snuck off the school grounds to go to the bars in the neighbouring town, sometimes they even met up with some of the guys from the neighbouring boys school in the area.

"What do you think, Sam?" Freya's question brought me back to the conversation, I tilted my head as I looked at her.

"Sorry, what?" I asked, wishing I hadn't started to daydream.

"We were talking about an event I'm organising," Elsie announced. "For prefects."

"Oh yeah?" I attempted to reply coolly as I tried to pretend I hadn't just spent the better part of our lunch break staring at the head girl.

"Like a party." Freya added with a smile.

"Obviously we can't throw a real party on school grounds but one of the girls has a cabin just outside of town and the boys at Wildwood can get hold of some alcohol for us." Elsie shrugged.

I wasn't sure how welcome I'd be at party like that, it's nice of Elsie to invite me but it doesn't sound like a 'prefect only' social event. It sounds like a party, one that's bound to have Janet and Ana attending.

"Cool." I offered the two girls a smile.

"You're gonna come, right?" Freya asked, looking at me quizzically.

"I don't know." I looked down at my food, pushing it around my plate again. "Parties aren't really my thing."

"Don't be boring." Freya sighed. "Parties are everyones thing."

I offered her a tight smile. "Not mine."

"Are you worried you'll bump into an ex or something?" She asked. "Have you dated one of the Wildwood boys?"

My eyes shot up, quickly darting to Elsie who I saw roll her eyes before they landed on Freya.

"What? No." I sat up a little straighter. "I don't even know any of the boys from that school."

"Well, I don't know you very well but this could be your chance to meet some of them then." Freya suggested with a slight smile. "Some of the boys there are really nice," She leaned a little closer. "And I'm a fantastic wing-woman."

I felt a smile creep onto my face at that, maybe she was right. I guess it wouldn't hurt to at least try a party out. "Fine, okay. Maybe I can try it out."

"You won't regret it." Freya said with a wink before going back to her food.

I glanced at Elsie who had been quiet for a while now and fought the urge not to furrow my eyebrows together. Was she okay?