The Third Floor

Elsie gripped my hand tightly as she led the two of us through the endless school corridors, as head girl she knew which route to take to avoid being caught by teachers.

We passed by the canteen and the History department before we came to a flight of stairs. The blonde quickly looked back at me and shot be a grin before she tugged me up the steps. The longer we held hands the more I could feel myself blush.

"Are you going to tell me where we're going yet?" I asked.

Elsie stopped as we came to the top of the stairs, she turned to me, still holding my hand.

"Fine, you're so impatient." She huffed playfully. "So the history department got renovated a couple of years before we started here, it covers two floors but used to cover three because it shared rooms with Geography."

"Right, I know that." I nodded, urging her to continue.

"So most of the third floor isn't in use anymore, there's some admin offices but most of the rooms are just used for storing supplies. Hardly anyone goes up there so it also doubles as a great place to hide out if you want to drink alcohol or have a small party."

"I didn't know that."

"Yeah, most people don't." Elsie led me to the end of the corridor where another flight of stairs waited for us. I tugged on her hand causing her to stop, she glanced at me with a raised eyebrow.

"What's up?"

"This is going to sound really stupid, please don't laugh." I mumbled.

The blonde's eyes softened and her hands went to my shoulders as she squeezed them comfortingly.

"I won't. I promise."

I glanced up at the staircase, the darkness from the floor above crept down it and I felt my heart race.

"I'm half expecting us to find a ghost up there, I mean it's been abandoned for years. It's probably haunted."

Elsie gave me a look of disbelief before biting her lip as if trying to hold back a laugh.

"You promised you wouldn't laugh." I grumbled.

The head girl was successful in trying to control her facial features. "I'm not, I promised I wouldn't. There's nothing to worry about though." Her hands fell from my shoulders and gripped my hands again, this time her thumb gently caressed my skin. "I'm trying to impress you, why would I take you somewhere that's haunted if I wanted to do that?"

"You're trying to impress me?"

Elsie's eyes widened as she realised what she had just said, she immediately let go of my hands. "Yeah, I mean of course I would. I want us to be friends." She stuttered out. "It's hard to do that when I constantly give off the boring stuck up head girl persona."

"I definitely don't think you're boring. Nobody has ever tried this hard to be my friend, let alone impress me." I said as I felt a blush seep onto my cheeks. Elsie seemed not to notice or if she did she certainly didn't comment on it.

"I'm glad you don't think I'm boring. Anyway," she clapped her hands together. "the third floor awaits."

I followed Elsie cautiously up to the next floor, I don't know what I was expecting in terms of it being abandoned but it looked exactly the same as the other hallways.

Elsie stopped outside one of the doors halfway down the corridor and produced a small silver key from her pocket. After fumbling with the lock for a moment the door opened and she stepped inside, I watched from the doorframe as she tried the light switch.