Hunger Pangs

It was Sunday and a couple of days had passed since my run in with Janet and since my strange experience with Elsie. I'm calling it strange for a few reasons. The first being that I haven't seen her since she ran out of my room that afternoon, and the second being that I don't understand why she has started to care all of a sudden. 

Gossip travels fast in an all girl school, so it wasn't long until Rachel had found out about what had happened between Janet and I. Of course different versions of the event were circling, some claimed that I had tripped Janet on purpose because I was jealous of her, and some others said that she had given me a black eye. That evening when Rachel turned up outside my room demanding to know what had happened, I had to tell her about the less exciting turn of events.

It may have slipped my mind to mention everything that had happened with Elsie though... It's not that I didn't want to tell her, I did. I just hadn't wrapped my head around the whole thing yet.

"But you're okay though, right?" Rachel asked carefully, her head tilted slightly as she watched me from the end of my bed.

"Yeah... I guess." I shrugged, trying to hold back the frown from my face. 

Rachel rolled her eyes, giving me a pointed look.

"Fine," I huffed. "I guess I'm just nervous for tomorrow. I've had the weekend to get over the whole thing but that doesn't mean that the other girls have done the same thing."

"You don't know that Sam." Rachel said softly. "We both know that most of the girls here are extremely immature, they're probably found something else to obsess over already."

"You're right, it's just..." I paused for a moment as I tried to gather my thoughts. "You found out about this whole ordeal because other people were gossiping and twisting what actually happened. I don't want to walk into class tomorrow just to have the other girls whispering things about me."

"If you really think it's going to be that much of an issue then maybe you should consider telling Elsie." Rachel suggested. "I mean she is friends with them, but she's also head girl now. If you ask me, she should put her duty as head girl first and punish those girls for what they did; I don't care if they're friends."

Not really wanting to talk about Elsie, especially not after the awkward encounter I had with her I frowned and gave a slight shrug as an attempt to seem nonchalant about the suggestion. "I guess."

Rachel furrowed her brow as her eyes roamed over me before sighing. "Anyway, how about we stick a film or something on Netflix and just binge watch it for the rest of the evening? It's been way to long since we had a Netflix session."

I rolled my eyes and reached for my laptop on my bedside table, the bed dipped as Rachel joined me at the head of the bed. I offered her a wide grin as I opened the laptop up and waited for the screen to load, she returned the grin before her face turned more serious.

"You better not have started a new TV series without me." She said, looking me dead in the eye.

"Of course not." I replied with a smile. "I know you'd kill me if I did."

"Good." She laughed.

*  *  *

Rachel crept out of my room a little while after 1am, we had managed to get through a few episodes of Scandal, reluctantly stopping because we both had to be up early for the start of term the next day.

I stood in front of the mirror in the next morning as I adjusted my tie, it was weird to see the red prefect badge pinned to the lapel of my dark green blazer. I smiled at myself in the mirror, before glancing down at my badge one last time before I reached for my bag and left my dorm room.