The Aftermath

There's no way I could have seen something like this happening, not on the first day. I knew that eventually the teasing would continue, but not to this level.

I stood in front of the mirror in my room and my hair was beginning to become matted with yogurt. I wiped at my red eyes with the back of my hand, a sob escaping my mouth as I did. I reached for the folded pile of towels on my dresser and grabbed one before dabbing my face with it, trying not to get anymore of the yogurt into my eyes.

A knock at my door stopped me in my tracks. I puffed out in annoyance. I couldn't let anyone else see me like this.

The knocking persisted.

"What?" I shouted, gripping the towel tightly in my hand.

"Are you okay?" A muffled voice asked from behind my door. It didn't sound like Rachel behind the door so I didn't want to answer, why would anyone care about me?

"Jus-"I swallowed thickly. "Just go away." I pleaded.

The person at the door tried the handle, thank God I had locked my door behind me. I heard a loud thud on the door, as if someone had hit their head against it.

"Please just... Let me in." There was a pause and then the voice spoke with a re-found confidence. "I'm not leaving until you do."

I threw the yogurt stained towel on the dresser and marched over to the door.

"Who is it?" I asked after a moment.

"It's Elsie."

What? Why is she here?

"Can I come in?" She asked, her tone was different this time, shy and a lot quieter.

"Why should I let you in?" I asked, my current state caused it to come out cracked, not like I had imagined it to in my head.

"I know we aren't exactly... friends," I almost scoffed as she spoke. "But I need to talk to you."

I thought about how I looked right now, if she saw me like this I'd be so embarrassed.

When did I start to care about what she thought about me?

I sighed. "Can't you come back later."

"Like I said, I'm not leaving until you let me in." She tried the door handle again.

God, this girl was stubborn.

It sounded like Elsie was alone, and she had never really taken part in any of the teasing I had endured for the last four years... This didn't mean I was going to be all sunshine and smiles with her though.

I bit my lip in thought before replying. "Fine."

I unlocked the door and it swiftly opened, Elsie stumbled forward before regaining her balance before she crashed into me. Despite all that had happened, it took a lot for me to hide a smile. Stubborn and clumsy?

Great mix.

As she stood up straight, I noticed she was an inch or so taller than me. Her eyes jumped to me and her eyebrows furrowed as her eyes fell from my hair down to my pink puffy eyes.

I swear I heard her mutter something under her breath.

Her gaze was intense and started to make me feel uneasy again, I quickly turned on my heel and moved back to the mirror where I started to dab at the yogurt that was starting to dry on my face.

"I am so sorry this happened to you." She said solemnly. I glanced at her out of the corner of my eye, she hadn't moved from her spot in my room.

I cleared my throat before speaking. "I'm used to it." I said, trying to brush the whole ordeal off.