Finding Comfort

Arthur sat down on the bed in the corner of the room, shock written all over his face. He couldn't believe it, everything that Gwen had said was true, even the bits he hadn't known until now, he just knew they were true, Gwen was the kind of person to lie. Arthur put his head in his hands in guilt, trying to process all Gwen had told him. He breathed in deeply before pulling away from his hands to find Grey sitting there staring at him, but Arthur being who he is got embarrassed for showing his emotions and therefore got protective, and snappy which didn't allow him to see the concern in Gray's eyes.

Would you want?!" Arthur exclaimed defensively. Merlin rolls his eyes, gets up and starts moving away. "Wait!" Arthur stated quickly, and he did stop but didn't turn around. "Don't...don't go." He said softly and hesitantly, Merlin looked over his shoulder Arthur, concern all over his face, but also upset for his friend. He wished more than anything that Arthur would talk to him like that when he was human, well...he actually did once or twice, but this was different. Merlin suspected it was because he was disguised as a wolf, but some part of Arthur felt safer around Grey because he believed with everything in him that Grey couldn't understand him and the fact that if he could understand him but couldn't share what he would hereafter say, made the Prince feel more comfortable. It made Merlin sad to think that Arthur could think Merlin would share a private conversation between them, but he understood Arthur had a lot was to go through. Merlin was just glad that he was the only person in Camelot that knew how to break all if not most of them down. So, anything that Arthur said now was going to be nothing but true, and not shared anyone else.

Arthur looked at the wolf that now faced him. *Such a gorgeous creature...I can see why Merlin wants to keep him hidden.* He thought. "I don't know if you can understand me, and to be honest I don't really care. I just...I just really need someone to talk to." Arthur said gently, sighing as he lowered his head to look at the floor. Merlin didn't dare hesitate to go over to Arthur, he needed someone there for him and he was going to help. Once he was sat in front of Arthur he placed his nose under Arthur's chin and gently lifted his head, giving him a gentle smile that told of it was going to be okay. Arthur smiled weakly but genuinely back at Merlin. "Thank you, old friend." Merlin looked at Arthur in shock and Arthur seem to be shocked too. "I'm sorry, it's just you really do remind me a lot of Merlin." Arthur commented softly. "God...I really wish he was here; I could really use a hug." Arthur said in a whisper that Merlin almost mistook for a trick of the wind.

Merlin jumps up on the bed next Arthur, being careful not to scare or hurt him, he used his teeth to Paul Arthur by the clothes he wore. The movement surprised Arthur, as he did not expect it to happen enclosed his eyes awaiting to hit the bed that came into contact was something really soft. Arthur opened his eyes to find his head was now resting on the black wolf's chest. Merlin places his head on Arthur's shoulder and gently looks down; using his muzzle to slowly move Arthur closer for better comfort, and to try and convince Arthur it was okay to hug back if he wanted to. And you know what? Arthur put his arms around the wolf and allowed his body to relax and be consumed by the softness of his father, which was softer than his pillow and the warmth of his body, warming him up better than his own bed. "Thank you Grey." Arthur said softly into Merlin's chest, making Merlin's heartbeat rise, and they just sat there in silence for a while until Arthur finally pulls away.

"You know Grey, Gwen was right...the way I treat Merlin's appalling. Not once have I ever thanked him for all he's done for me...I just took him for granted, but no more! I'm going to try harder to show Merlin how much I appreciate him." Arthur explained, Merlin shook his head to try and convince him it was okay. "Don't try to convince me otherwise! Merlin is my only true friend and I'm not going to stand here and lose him because of my ignorance." Arthur proclaims with conviction, causing Merlin blush that the comment which was luckily hidden by his fur, and appreciative smile spread across his face as this is the first time Arthur was called in friend. Merlin looks at Arthur with a face that told him, 'Merlin would appreciate that.' Arthur smiles understanding the message. "Then it settled...Grey I would like to ask you a favour." Arthur states with a smile, a new look crossing his face.

Merlin wags his tail, not quite understanding the look on Arthur's face but knowing that whatever it meant it was something good. "Is there a way you could bring Merlin here?" Arthur asks somewhat excitedly. Merlin nods his head and Arthur smiles, please look forming on his face. "Could you do that for me while I go find Gwen, so I can have a quick word with her?" Grey nods once more, happy to see Arthur in a better mood. Arthur strokes his head, puts on his hooded cloak making sure to cover his face, and leaves to go find Gwen. Merlin changes back to normal and decides to stay sat on the bed, waiting for Arthur's return feeling a bit confused but more pleased with himself. He had comforted Arthur in his time of need, and Arthur was going to try being nice to him, he couldn't help the smile that spread across his face.

Meanwhile, Arthur searches across the city looking for Gwen. He soon comes across her as she finally decided to start heading home, but when she saw Arthur she went to walk away. "Guinevere wait!" He calls causing her to turn around.

"Yes." She asked anger still no voice as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"You were right Guinevere, about everything. I promise you that I will do my best to change. However, as you were clearly trying to say for, I have hurt Merlin the most. I really want to make it up to him, but because such an awful friends, I don't know the kind of things he likes, so I was hoping you could help me...please?" Arthur said softly, causing Gwen's expression to soften and a small smile perked up in the corner of her mouth.

"You're not an awful friends, I think you know more about Merlin than you believe. However, if you want my honest opinion and help...I can tell you that Merlin would appreciate anything you do to try and make things up to him, even just apologising to him would make him happy." She explained with a soft chuckle, placing a friendly hand on Arthur shoulder.

"Guinevere, please...I really want to make this up to him." Arthur begged, with desperation in his eyes.

"Well, since you asked so nicely." Gwen states making Arthur smile. "Merlin's favourite colours are blue and red, he loves to have a laugh with people, he loves animals, he told me that he liked silver because his mother used to wear silver necklace that his father gave to her not long before he disappeared...and I do think I recall he said he'd like to get himself another neckerchief because he only has two." Gwen explained Arthur with a friendly smile, and something came to Arthur instantly.

"Guinevere, can you sneak me into the castle?" Arthur asks with a smirk.

Gwen looked around making sure no one could hear. "The only reason the answer to that question is yes, is because of Merlin...please don't yell at him or tell him off for that." Gwen asks with guilt, realising a bit too late what she'd confessed to the Prince. Arthur's smile just grows, because of course Merlin would know.

"If anything, I'll thank him." Arthur replied with a slight chuckle, and with that they made their way to the castle.

Please comment and vote :) thank you