Fourteen: To New Beginnings

I looked into Ralof's face. It was filled with remorse, and sadness. My first reaction was relief. That he was alive, and standing in front of me. Then I remembered our last conversation at Whiterun.

"Just go Ven."

I swallowed once. I was in no way prepared for the raw hurt cascading through me at the sight of him. And the fury accompanying it.

"Just go Ven."

His eyes were wide, pleading. "Ven-" I slashed my hand in front of him and shut him up. "Don't Ralof. Not now. You've said enough. I almost begged you to let me explain but you wouldn't listen. I'm just returning the favor." His parting words at Whiterun were still echoing in my ears.

I turned away from the stricken expression on his face. And started walking away. "I'm sorry Ven! I love you. Please, don't do this.", he said in a strangled voice. I stopped in my tracks for an instant, grounded by those words. He loves me. I clenched my fists, knowing that he wasn't lying. And I knew that all these months, I'd been falling for him too. But I couldn't lose him like I'd lost Arris and my mother. I couldn't go through that again. I didn't look back at him as I made myself step away.

He didn't follow me either.

It took me a while to clear my head after that. But I pulled my focus to the task at hand, and went to inform Galmar about the changes in the plan. He was skeptical. In fact, skeptical was an understatement.

"What kind of blasted fool idea is this anyway? Working with the Imperials? You're basically begging for a dagger in your sleep! And Ulfric agreed? Was he drinking?" And so on. It took a few more pointed arguments, and a promise that yes, Ulfric had been in full possession of his mental faculties at the time he agreed to it. Still grumbling, he leveled a finger at me and said he'd try. I thanked him, and ran towards the Solitude Gates where Ulfric was organizing the Stormcloak army. "King Ulfric! Galmar said he'd leave at sundown. What about the rest of our troops?"

Ulfric actually winked at me. "Don't worry, Stormblade. Galmar sent them a message as soon as you left Whiterun after brokering your 'truce'. Our garrisons from Windhelm, Riften and Dawnstar should be surrounding them from the East, North and South. And we'll close in on them from the West. There's no escape for them. Unless they agree to your plan. Which is a pretty long shot."

He still seemed unconvinced about getting the Imperial army on our side. But I'd realized the truth. The Thalmor could not be allowed to win. And right now, they were easy pickings, with nothing but a few bands of Justicars, and a single embassy. And if the Imperials did join with us, Skyrim would have more than enough men to defend her. Coupled with the geographical location of the country itself, as well as the cold and inhospitable terrain, any attack by the Aldmeri would undoubtedly fail. "We'll see how it plays out, sir. Now, let us depart."

We left shortly after that. I spent the ride thinking about how I'd convince Tullius and Rikke. I agreed with Ulfric on one point. The General had to die. He was far too stubborn to see otherwise, and I knew that he had no respect for the Nords, as well as Skyrim. I promised to myself that I'd make his death quick. Rikke on the other hand... The time I'd spent with her had fostered a grudging respect for her sense. And I'd seen an Amulet of Talos under her armor. She would see the truth in what I said. She was my best chance of winning the Imperials over.

We made quick time to Whiterun. The Imperial army was a haphazard camp, and Whiterun seemed to be occupied as well by them. I hoped that Lydia and Eorland were unhurt. I heard Ulfric murmuring orders to his men and they obeyed, splitting into smaller bands before galloping around to surround the Imperials. The Imperials seemed unaware for a while, until a scout from one of Whiterun's guard towers sounded a warning. One of my men silenced him with an arrow, but it was too late. The Imperials knew we were here.