Nine: Masks and Mistakes

I left Windhelm the next morning, my mind shifting through all the possible issues that might pop up by following Ulfric's plan. It was simple, devious, and brilliant. Exactly what you'd expect from him. The thing was, the idea's success depended upon my not so amazing acting skills, and restraint, which wasn't really something I was known for possessing. But then, if I was able to hasten the end of this pointless war, even better.

On the way to Rorikstead, I halted at Whiterun, where I got my armor repaired from the last time a dragon mauled it, and went to Farengar to see if he had any new spell books. "Oh yes, I have quite the thing for an enterprising mage like you, hmm? Here you go, this is a tome for Lightning Cloak. At only six hundred septims, it's a bargain!" I raised an eyebrow at him. "And, what exactly, does this actually do? At that price, it better have a better use than just a pretty aura." Farengar smiled at me. "It certainly does. It drains the magicka and health of enemies surrounding you within a certain range." I definitely could use such a spell, I thought to myself. After buying it, and saying hello to my friends, namely Lydia, Aela, and a few more Companions, I went to bed and rose at the break of dawn, eager to start my journey to Rorikstead.

I reached the town after a slow day's ride without running into any obstacles and rented a room at the Frostfruit Inn. The innkeeper seemed a bit surly but that was probably because of the persistent dragon menace, according to some of the farmers in the area. This probably affected everyone's business. The man cheered up after I bought supplies that would amount to a week's travel, and became rather talkative, filling me in on a lot of rumours that I doubt I would have come across otherwise. I sipped from my tankard of mead and waited, knowing that Galmar could attack at any moment.

I was slightly distracted by a boy, Erik, arguing with the innkeeper about going on an adventure and smiled to myself. A few months on the road and the kid would probably be whining for home. My smile faded as I remembered what had happened to Halfrogge, another young man who wanted nothing but to see more than his hometown. This kid could end up the same. After scaring the daylights out of him, and softening the blow by promising to help him become an adventurer in the future, I felt better. Then I heard the roar.

I ran outside to see a gigantic dragon setting a field on fire. Its size and appearance was that of a Revered Dragon, one of the most dangerous beasts to prowl the land. I knew the first thing I had to do was ground the creature, and so I readied myself and Shouted. "Joor Zah Frul!"

The by now familiar blue shockwave hit the dragon's flank and it crashed with a resounding thud, and gave me a glare that promised a painful death before advancing towards me. Involuntarily, I took a step back, and pulled out one of my short-swords. With my other hand, I generated a Greater Ward to protect me against the dragon's fiery breath. As I was about to charge it, I heard a woman yell, "Fire at will boys! The target is too big to miss." A flurry of arrows hit the creature's wing and it was momentarily distracted. I saw the boy Erik stare open-mouthed for a while before pelting the dragon with rocks. Taking advantage of the diversion of the dragon's attention, I ran towards it and jumped on its back. It immediately reared and I grabbed onto a spike for dear life, cursing the whole while. I stabbed the beast in the neck as many times as I could, and soon its bucking slowed, then ultimately ceased, thanks to the blood loss. I slid off of its back even as it turned to bone, and after absorbing its soul, I turned to thank my fellow fighters, only to stop cold.

They were dressed in the uniforms of the Imperials. The woman, a Legate, if I had her rank correct bowed to me and said, "That was quite a fine kill, Dragonborn. The stories about your battle skills are indeed true. I am Legate Rikke, and I would be much obliged if you could accompany me and my men to Solitude. We have an important shipment to deliver, and the night is dark and full of terrors. Not to mention dragons. We can fight, but such beasts are beyond our ability to manage. I can promise you you will be well rewarded." I was too dazed to object and she took my silence for assent before walking off, even as I fought the urge to throw my dagger into her back.