Chapter 14

"Hotch? Can...can I talk to you for a minute?" Spencer slowly stepped into his boss' office without waiting for him to invite him in. Hotch just nodded and made a gesture that told Spencer to take a seat.

"What's the matter, Reid?", Hotch asked and his eyes examined the young agent. Spencer cleared his throat. "Leah and I, we...asked Garcia to find out something about Leah's biological parents and it turns out that they were murdered", Spencer started. He didn't stop when he saw the surprised and slightly shocked expression on Hotch's face. Instead he continued to tell what Penelope had found out the day before.

Hotch listened without interrupting Spencer. And when he had finished, Hotch slowly leaned back in his chair. "I assume you want me to take that case?", he asked and Spencer nodded.

"I know it's a lot to ask for since we have other cases as well, but...Leah is suffering. She can't understand why someone would kill her parents and she can't stop thinking about it. She's stressed because of that whole situation and...I'm really worried about her. She should relax because of the baby but she can't." A deep sigh escaped Spencer's mouth.

Hotch examined him critically. "You know I can't guarantee you that we even get the permission to work on that case", he then quietly said. Spencer nodded once again. "I know. But...isn't it worth a try? Please, Hotch." He didn't want to beg, but it almost sounded like a plea, he couldn't help himself.

A little smile appeared on Hotch's lips now as he got up from his chair and came around his table. "I see how important that is for you and also for Leah. I also feel that you won't stop with this until we have that case. Let me see what I can do, okay?" He put a hand on Spencer's shoulder and then left his office. For a moment Spencer remained sitting in the office and watched his boss leave.

Then he got up as well and returned to his own desk. There was some paperwork waiting for him and he intended to get it done today.

An hour later Spencer realized that it didn't make any sense: He couldn't fully concentrate on what he was doing. He was squirrelly and just wanted to know if there was any chance to start working on the Charlotte-and-Anthony-Monaghan-case.

"Hey, pretty boy. Are you alright?" Derek moved his chair to Spencer's desk and examined the young agent. Frowning Spencer looked up from a file he was currently working on.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm alright", he then said but Derek didn't seem to believe him. „Come on, you've been in Hotch's office a while ago and now you're staring at the same file since almost forty-five minutes."

Spencer sighed at Derek's words and started to tell him as well what Penelope had found out and that he hoped that they could work on that case and find out the truth. Derek listened without interrupting Spencer and then he leaned back in his chair again.

"Wow, that's big news. And unfortunately really bad news", he finally said after some minutes. Spencer just nodded. And before the two of them could have go on talking, Hotch appeared.

"We've got the case, Reid", he said and a little smile formed on his lips. Spencer literally jumped from his chair. "Okay, then let's get started!" Everyone couldn't hold back a short laugh and then followed Hotch to the round table.

~

In the evening, when Spencer and Leah lay in bed, snuggled up to each other, he told her the good news. Her eyes widened in surprise when she heard and a sigh of relief escaped her lips. "Thank god! And what are you going to do?" She asked curiously.

„Well, the team will travel to (...) to find out what happened and maybe get some information from the police there. And...Hotch told me to stay here as often as I can so I can look after you."

Leah frowned at her boyfriend and pulled away a bit. "Why? I mean...don't they need you and your incredibly smart brain?" Spencer chuckled. He grabbed Leah's waist to pull her closer again.

„Of course they do", he smirked, "but you know...we have no clue where your parents' killer is. What if he's still in this city? What if he'll realize that we're looking for him and then tries to find you and hurt you?" Spencer's facial expression had gone serious again while he talked.

Leah bit her lips and buried her face in Spencer's neck. "I know, you're right", she murmured. Then she looked up again. "I'm glad that you guys are trying to find out what really happened", she said and put a hand on Spencer's cheek. And Spencer knew, although Leah never had to get to know her biological parents, it hurt her a lot that they had to die this way.

"And we'll find him, I promise you." Spencer kissed Leah and when they parted again, she asked if there was something she could help with.

"No, no, no, you'll stay away from this case, darling", Spencer immediately negated. "But...maybe I could help as well. I want that homicide to be solved." She sounded determined and Spencer, although he didn't want Leah to be involved, couldn't help but smile at what she'd just said.

"I know you want to get answers. And you'll get answers. But please, stay away from it. You're pregnant and should rest anyway."

„Spencer, I'm pregnant and not sick!", she exclaimed now and rolled her eyes at him. "I can't stand it when people treat me like I'm sick and shouldn't be allowed to make even one step on my own!" Leah now sat up and leaned against the pillows that were behind her back. She folded her arms in front of her chest. Spencer remained lying in the same position and frowned at her.

"I'm sorry, darling", he finally said after some minutes they had spent in silence. He scooted closer to Leah again and put one of his large hands on her baby bump. "I just...I'm scared something could happen to you and our little one. Can you understand me at least a bit?" His brown eyes were examining Leah and she sighed. She always had to think of a puppy when he looked at her like that.

"Of course I can understand you, Spence", she said and leaned against him again. "But you can't expect me to just sit around and stay home all day long just because I'm pregnant. I'm careful, okay? And I'm barely alone when I'm outside. Billie, JJ or Penelope are with me anyway whenever I go shopping or whatever." Leah kissed Spencer's cheek. "Don't worry too much."