Chapter Nine: I Hope the Alley Cat Doesn't Have Nine Lives Cuz I Sure Don't

Start from the beginning

"Enjoying the floor?"

Zach shrugged awkwardly. "I've been less comfortable. Can't really think of a moment just now but –"

Without changing expression, the Alley Cat stepped forward, bent down, grabbed the back of his chair, and yanked it into an upright position without so much as a grunt of effort. I felt my eyes widen and even Zach could barely keep a look of surprise off his face. You'd never have expected this small, thin man to have that kind of muscle.

"Well, thanks," said Zach coolly, blowing chestnut-colored hair out of his face. Both his eyes were puffy and spotted brilliantly with purple and blue. His lip was bleeding more than ever, but he didn't look bothered in the slightest. He pulled against his restraints. "How about these handcuffs?"

The Alley Cat shook his head, almost looking regretful. "I'm sorry. Hard to say who you can trust these days, you know."

Why was he being so nice? It made me more nervous when the bad guys were nice than when they were mean. At least the mean ones were predictable – they'd just kill you. Who knew what this guy was planning?

"Where's Christina?" I asked again, my voice trembling a little as those black eyes met mine. "And Rosie?"

"Dawson, Dawson," reproved the Alley Cat, shaking his head. "Didn't I tell you to reassure our guests that their relatives are okay?"

I gave Zach a quick look. Was one of his siblings here, too?

Catching this, he shook his head. "There's no one out there they could bring in here to use against me," he said simply. "Besides, they know I don't know anything about – what they want from us."

By the way he said it, I doubted this was true. The Alley Cat apparently doubted it as well, because he laughed lightly and said, "My dear Zachary, you are very valuable to us. I'm not stupid. But," and he swiveled on the spot to signal to a guard at the door, "I am being very rude. Don't let me prolong your reunion."

The guard disappeared from the room. Apprehension lit on my tongue as Zach and I exchanged nervous glances. The Alley Cat was still smiling creepily as he reached into his pocket and approached me, walking around to the back of my chair.

"What are you doing?" snapped Zach, following him with his eyes. "Leave her along. I've told you people that she has nothing to do with –"

He shut up as a little click sounded and the Alley Cat held my handcuffs in front of Zach's face. I pulled my hands back in front of me, rubbing my wrists and wincing as my circulation rushed back ruthlessly. As I tried to stand, my head spun dizzily and I had to grab the chair in order to stay upright. It was then I remembered I hadn't eaten since – what time even was it? I had no idea.

"Are you going to remove this damn tape, too?" demanded Zach with frustration as the Alley Cat walked away from us to speak to Dawson. He received an amused look.

"Didn't I just say I wasn't stupid?"

Zach gritted his teeth, still trying to pull his hands free. I crouched down in back of him and tried to work on the duct tape myself, but it was hopeless without scissors or any kind of spy training. As I stood up and shrugged at Zach helplessly, Dawson let out a malicious guffaw.

"Your girlfriend's pretty dumb, isn't she?"

He smirked as Zach swore and kicked in his direction. At that moment, a knock sounded on the door.

"Dawson," said the Alley Cat calmly, "if you could please leave the room?"

It was Zach's turn to smirk as Dawson glowered at the Alley Cat, not daring to argue but not wanting to leave. "Enjoy yourself," called Zach as he left the room, and Dawson sent him a glare that made me glad looks couldn't kill.