Chapter Sixteen.

I gained around 50 fans in the past 5 or so days for doing nothing. Absolutely nothing. I'm past 360 fans, my story has surpassed 46,000 reads AND I've gotten over 1,180 comments (and we're not even past chapter twenty, yet)! This is insane...ly amazing. I have no idea what I should say except... God, thank you! Just wow. Thank you so much, you amazing people. I have no idea what I did to deserve this (or you) but I'm so grateful. Here's the update. I'm sorry it's late; you know how hectic school can get especially on top of my anxiety, the storm and what not. Anyway, yeah, I'm sorry! Have some Ziam to make up for it. *sprinkles chapter with the sweet taste of Mr. Payne*

I've decided to start explaining why I dedicate my chapters to whom I dedicate them to, so... Dedicated to 741MinTheToms because they stayed up until 5am to read my story and left a lovely comment and just... yeah, wow, that is so sweet! I love you.

Anyway! Big love, my lovelies. xxx

========== + + + + + ==========

"He just snapped at you?"

Niall stares at me quizzically from across the table, his gaze flickering around my face as it crumples into a frown. His sleek eyes, a watery blue, scan my solemn expression as I nod, then a pink tint flushes his face as he puffs out his cheeks with air and exhales harshly.

"I wish I knew why," I mutter, fumbling with my fingers on top of our usual bench. It's lunch and Louis is, thus far, absent. Of course, he didn't want to see me - he doesn't want to see me. And that hurts. "He just - shit, Niall, he just snapped at me when I said Harry is a good guy and..."

With a sigh, Niall leans forward, his elbow unintentionally nudging his lunch-wrap to one side. "Why'd you say that?" he asks.

"To convince him!" I say. "He doesn't want to be with Harry for longer than a couple of weeks and Harry doesn't deserve that. He really likes Lou, Niall."

Consideration settles onto Niall's face like the overcast of a shadow, only lighter and much more tangible. "Does Harry like you?" he asks.

Flushing red all of a sudden, I gulp and mumble, "I, uh, as friends."

"Of a sort," Niall adds, then snorts as I duck my head because, yeah, okay, normal friends don't sleep with each other. "Okay, I get it. You don't like Harry and Harry likes Louis." He pauses. "Does Louis like Harry?"

Does Louis like Harry? I haven't asked him officially yet but considering his reaction to Harry when they first met, I'd have to say that he does like Harry. Then again, Louis stood the man up and is now claiming that he doesn't plan on staying with Harry for long, which should discourage the idea that Louis has any feelings for him that aren't lusty or platonic. And yet, the reasoning behind him standing Harry up is all because of his own self-doubt, which means that he must like Harry because he thinks Harry is too good for himself?

Dear God, I did not think Louis was this complex. And yet, here we are, evaluating his erratic thoughts, emotions and behaviour to try and suss him out.

"I think he does," I say finally, a frown still weighing down my face.

Niall nods. "So do I," he says, "but I also think that..."

"That what?"

Niall hesitates. He meets my eyes steadily then looks away again, seeming to deflate. "That nothing," he says. "Forget it. Maybe all Louis wants from Harry is sex."

That's not right, I know. I can feel it somehow; Louis doesn't want Harry for sex. If that's not the case though, then what does he want Harry for? And what is Niall so intent on not telling me? "Seriously, mate," I say, "what is it?"