S i x

Do you ever just have those moment where you wake up really early, not able to fall back asleep so you stare at the ceiling just letting your mind be a race track for your thoughts? If so, you understand how I'm feeling right now. It's about nine in the morning and my mind keeps drifting off to last night.

After I told Mack my worst fear, we both we silent for a while. After a couple minutes, he changed the conversation to something a little less upsetting. We talked about everything from picking between the fridge and the freezer to our favorite superheroes. Of course, I picked the fridge because ice cream and the Flash because Barry Allen is super cute. He said the fridge because he doesn't want to wait for things to defrost and Batman because he is the super badass but a regular human being. I learned he had his driver's license but doesn't care to drive and he learned I want to become a photographer. We talked and talk for about two hours before I started dozing off during a debate about the best toppings for pizza. He offered to leave but I asked him to stay a little longer. During the two hours, he found out my favorite movie is Lilo and Stitch. He got out his phone and went to Netflix, putting the movie on. I remember the first couple minutes before I fell asleep.

He wasn't there when I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom so I assumed he left when he saw I wasn't awake. It was kind of disappointing to not have the warmth of his body near me when I woke up, but at the same time, I would have had to explain a lot to Ameene if he slept in the same bed as me.

Finally, my stomach growled loudly, signaling I need to get up and eat. I get up and wash up, throwing on a big tee shirt that goes mid thigh. Ameene doesn't let people stay over when she throws small parties like last night so I'm fine. I go down the steps to the kitchen and take out the stuff to make Ameene and I breakfast. I'm at the sink washing my hands when I hear her coming downstairs.

"Good morning," I say, expecting her to be tired and hungry. Instead, I get a deep groggy voice that does not belong to my best friend returning the greeting. My eyes widen as I watch a tall Mack turn the corner of the stairs. I panic, dropping the dish soap on the floor.

"Why are you still here," I stutter as he enters the kitchen.

"I was way too tired to drive so Ameene let me crash here," he said nonchalantly. He obviously can't see that I don't have pants, which makes sense considering the kitchen island is taller than my hips.

"Uh, is anyone else here?" I ask nervously, hoping for no other surprises. He shakes his head and gets up, looking at me suspiciously. Shit.

"What's going on?" he asks, slowly walking to my side of the island. I start shuffling the other way. He goes a little faster, knowing I'm hiding something.

"OK OK," I say trying to get him to stop. It works. "I didn't expect anyone but Ameene to be here so...." I look down. "I'm only wearing a shirt," I admit quietly. He starts laughing and I shoot him a look.

"So what now?" he says smiling mischievously.

"Just look away while I go upstairs."

"But what do I get out of this?"

I groan. "Why do you have to make this difficult?"

"In return, I want breakfast." I nod. That's not too bad, I like cooking anyway.

"And, you have to go out with me." I shake my head.

"Nope, not happening. Pick something else." I don't want to go anywhere with him. I already established I don't do relationships. He shrugs and starts chasing me around the table again, faster than last time.

"FINE," I scream.

"Fine what?" he says smiling, knowing he got his way.

"Fine I'll make you breakfast," I say, hoping he leaves me be.

"Annddddd," he says. I roll my eyes, making a note of how punchable his face looks.

"And I'll go out with you," I say in a low voice. He smiles and closes his eyes. I tell him to turn around and he does.

"If you look at all, the deal is completely off," I warn him, sternly. He nods and I start walking backwards, making sure he doesn't look. Half of me wants him to stay looking away so things aren't completely awkward, the other half wants him to peek so I don't have to go out with him.

I watch him closely as I make my way upstairs. He doesn't move at all. I sigh and yell from my room that I was gone before closing the door. I find a comfy pair of sweats and change into a shirt my size. I almost forget how hungry I am when I hear my stomach make another loud rumble. My feet carry me down the carpeted steps, yet again, and I see him waiting.

"What's for breakfast?" he asks when I walk past him to the fridge.

"I don't know yet," I say looking at what Ameene has left in the fridge.

"Whatever it is, I want a lot." I turn and roll my eyes at him. I take out a green pepper, onion, sausage, and some potatoes from the cabinets. I the potatoes first, cutting them up before getting them golden brown in the pan. I saute the pepper, onion and sausage in a separate pan for a couple minutes before I add it all to the pan of potatoes. I season it, stir it together, and breakfast is done.

"I want some," I hear Ameene say from the living room. I turn around and see her walk in and take a seat. I put three plates around the table and distribute the food. Mack starts eating immediately and Ameene and I laugh.

"This is really good," Mack says between bites.

"Yeah, this one knows how to cook. That's why I keep her around," Ameene jokes. I threaten to take her food and she mouths 'kidding' while cradling her plate. I take my food to the couch and take out my phone and headsets.

Later on that day, Mack and I walked back to our neighborhood. I was about to walk up my driveway when he stopped me.

"In honor of our deal, I will be over at nine tomorrow to get you." I ask him where we're going and instead, he tells me to dress semiformal. I sigh and make my way to my door, opening it and entering. I drop my things and go straight to my bed.

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××