[42] dreary

"Bye Kookie, I'll see you this afternoon," Hoseok leant down to bring the boy into a warm embrace, leaving a kiss on the crown of his head. He was still practically asleep as he rubbed cutely at his eyes, mumbling something about wanting the other to stay. "I can't stay, Jin's asked me for a favour. I'll be back before you even realise that I'm gone. Plus, you'll have Taehyung to keep you company." Jungkook nodded slightly as he squeezed Hoseok tight, inhaling the fresh smell of his damp hair as he tried to ground himself with the familiar scent.

"I don't want you to go," he whispered guiltily, clinging on tighter when his brother tried to pull away.

"You're okay now Kookie. Everything will be okay. Now rest, you need as much sleep as you can get."

__________

Jungkook sat at the end of his bed, picking at the ends of his blanket as he watched Taehyung sleep. His mouth was ajar as quiet breaths filled his lungs with each slow rise of his chest. He had managed to grab ahold of the owner of the bed's bunny plushy, hugging it tightly as if it were his own. Jungkook couldn't help but smile at the sight as it reminded him vividly of the second time he'd met Taehyung when he'd found him asleep in the music rooms after school.

"May I comment on the fact that you are very cute when you sleep," he mumbled quietly, picking up a notepad from his bedside table that was just in his reach and beginning to sketch out the cute scene in front of him. Maybe it was slightly creepy to not only watch him sleep, but to draw him too. But seeing him so calm and safe was a sight Jungkook wanted to cherish.

__________

Taehyung woke up to the feeling of weight against his legs. He tried wiggling himself free but couldn't manage to remove the person sleeping on top of his feet. He sat up, looking down upon Jungkook who was sprawled out at the base of his bed, arms wrapped around a drawing pad, pencil still held in his palm as he seemed to sleep soundly. The sight of the boy drooling in his sleep made him chuckle quietly, bringing his hand up to run his fingers through his hair. The act earned a shudder from the boy as he stirred, lifting his head with his eyes still tightly shut.

"Morning."

"Fuck.... I thought I was dreaming." Taehyung was taken aback by how blatant Jungkook was with his language, and how much it conflicted the cute behaviour. Eventually he managed to open his eyes, darting open fully as he ducked down and wiped at his mouth, cheeks darkening as he wiped away the saliva. "Shit I don't normally-"

"Calm down, I don't care if you drool in your sleep. Unless you were dreaming about me, then ..." Taehyung didn't think it was possible for the boy's cheeks to get any darker, ears spreading to that same bright red as he grabbed his sketchbook and slapped it shut.

"Shut up," he snapped with blaring embarassment, wiping at his face as he curled his knees to his chest. He looked up eventually, watching as Taehyung reached over to the bedside table to grab a glass of water. His face was scrunched up and his hand reached to his abdomen to hold over the stitches. "Still hurts?" Taehyung nodded softly, fingers tracing each individual stitch on his stomach.

They settled into silence, seeming to observe eachother cautiously. There was a heaviness to their shared presence, for Taehyung worried about all the things he'd done to hurt the boy, and Jungkook worried about what Taehyung would think of him if he blurted what went on inside his head. So neither spoke, drowning in the pressure of unknown.

"My brother left earlier..." Jungkook said after the silence became too much, trying to ease the tension that seemed to build with each passing second. "Mum and dad are at work. They'll be back this afternoon, but for now it's just you and me." Taehyung sighed, nodding slightly as he rested his head in his hands, shaking it dismally. He glanced up to see Jungkook frowning, a look of hurt in his eyes. "You don't want to be with me?" Taehyung let his jaw slacken when he realised what he had just done. He immediately shook his head, grabbing Jungkook's hand as he sputtered apologetically,