GRAPHENE

"If I were Addie, I would've killed you," Hartle says, flicking my forehead because he knows there's nothing I can do because I'm strapped down to the table.

"I will get off this table, Hartle. And then I'll fucking kill you," I seethe.

"Rain," Freeman warns from above me.

I roll my eyes and stop moving against the straps. Freeman had only just put numbing meds on my shoulder, leaving the rest of my body vulnerable to whatever he planned next.

"It seems like the graphene I put in six years ago is deteriorating. I had expected a ten year life span, but it looks like some places have worn out..." he trails off, thinking. He has a habit of talking to himself.

When I was still working in Heart, Freeman had used me many a time as his guinea pig, including the skin enhancement we're dealing with now. He created a type of flexible metal that is injected under the skin to act as a barrier from fatal wounds. He had started in just the most important parts: torso and back. But he gradually added more until my whole body was covered in the thin metal. It lies down under the dermis so there's no discoloration, contrary to the fact that it has a shiny silver sheen when in the injection tubes. And most importantly, it's strong enough to take a bullet. Freeman calls it graphene, and he's yet to use it on another agent.

"So how is this going to work? Are you going to try to take out the old and add new? Or just layer it?" Austin asks from the corner of the room.

All the boys are in here, watching me as I lie on the table in annoyance waiting for someone to do something.

"I want to go to my lab--my home lab, that is. I can work on some enhancements there so that it does last ten years," Freeman answers, again, more to himself than anyone in here.

"So can I go?" I grumble, wriggling in the straps again.

"You cannot," he tells me, smirking from above. "Still have that bullet in. Just a second."

Freeman takes a pair of medical pliers, digs them into my exposed shoulder and yanks it out.

"You know, fuck you. That would've hurt so fucking bad if I didn't have the numbing serum," I complain, even though I didn't feel any of it.

"Which is why he gave it to you, you whiny bitch," Austin jokes, shoving my foot.

"Fuck off," I glare at him as he smirks at me.

"Now," Freeman says as he begins to clean and wrap the wound on my shoulder, "you have to explain to me why on Earth you thought it was a good idea to take on Saige alone. I know Buchanan has warned you; I told him to. So why, Hayden?"

I roll my eyes again. "I can do it myself. And I might have. I told you I got a shot in. She may already be dead."

They all radiate the same annoyance I held at my stubbornness as Freeman begins to undo the straps. "Don't expect pain killers for the graphene injections."

"And a fuck you to you too, Gale," I say merrily, sitting up and hopping off the table before skipping out of the room with a quiet Zack following behind me.

♣♦♥♠

"He's called you in alone. Probably so you can complain about me without any consequences," I laugh, glancing at him from the driver's seat.

"I'll be sure to tell him as much shit on you as I have," Zack jokes along with me.

"And remind him we have the first three shifts at the Saige stakeout," the stakeout starts tonight, and I'm sure Buchanan knows I'll be all over it.