Chapter Ten

Enjoy!

Chapter 10

~Grey~

                He watched her fall, saw as the light left her eyes and her form turned to dust. The Henchmen around him screaming themselves at the old magick, before each in turn, scattered as dust in the wind. She had defeated them, had saved them, but please, not to have sacrificed herself! Not to lose her! He had to know!

                Collecting his son and daughter, he traveled through the darkening light, traveling deep into the heart of the forbidden forest. Past knoll and meadow, deeper to where no others travelled, to where fears held deep and trees whispered amongst themselves. And at the end of his travel, a lone female wolf met them.

                She howled out her sorrow for the agonizing pain he had shared with her. And she took his children. Promising him that no harm should ever befall the offspring of her Prince.

                And he left them, travelling back to the Queen, to the only place he knew his questions could be answered.

* * * * *

                He threw the doors wide, taking no heed to the thunderous bang as it reverberated through the desolate, marble hallway. She stood at the front, her cold beauty a mockery. Her smile an evil snare.

* * * * *

~Queen~

                “I have succeeded!” She said.

                He strode forward the remainder of the way, as he watched her turn.

                “Mirror, Mirror on the wall, whom is the fairest of them all?”

                The surface shimmered, the glass taking on life as the silver swirled and arched.

                “You are my Queen.” The Mirror replied. “For the heart of Beauty no longer beats in our land. The Essence of Beauty is gone.”

                And her wicked laughter rang throughout the hallway to reverberate back at him a thousand times over.

* * * * *

~Grey~

                Essence had severed her ties to Fantasy, as blatant as taking a knife and severing flesh, bone and artery. She had cut her ties that bind, in order to keep those she had loved safe.

                And he stood there, no words uttered as every fiber within his being shuttered and screamed. As every hope and wish died a million deaths. He had touched his salvation…and a wall of nothingness crashed down upon him as the lights of love, of belief in something more were extinguished in his own personal Hell…

© 2011-2012 Aelfwynn MacGregor, AMB