Chapter Three

Please Read, Enjoy & Vote!

Chapter 3

~Essence~

                His name was Grey and it was such an unusual name, for I never thought anything that he did as plain or mundane. And the Woods were his home, though he spoke of them with love, it was sadness in his voice, like they were his memories more so than his daily life. But everything that there was too knew, it appeared that he did.

                At the age of eleven, he taught me about the Deep Magick that ran through the Woods. Pockets of magick so ancient that no one could remember how it had begun nor did anyone have the ability to control this type of magick. Ancient wells and springs of the greatest power in existence. It was as dangerous as it was beautiful.

                At the age of thirteen, we’d discovered the Possibility Fruit. They almost appeared as wheat on the horizon, swaying in the meadow to the afternoon breeze. But upon further inspection, you discovered the rubber like shafts were in a multitude of colors and shades. They felt like licorice to the touch, and a sweet cherry or strawberry was their chewy flavor upon testing. The fruit had the ability to change one’s appearance. The older you were, the more powerful the magick. It was a good thing that I’d been so young upon trying; I’d merely gone home with pink hair to an irate and laughing mother. At least she’d been able to fix it before I’d had to return to school in the fall.

                And finally, at the ripe age of fifteen, Grey had shown me the Wishing Well Trees. The trees sat in a perfect circle in their midst, a well, shaped of their very roots. As the rain water fell through their star shaped leaves, it was imbued with Wishes, before draining to rest within the well. A person of good heart, honesty and trustworthiness could drink once from the well, and have their deepest desire fulfilled.

                Grey told me to drink, but I shook my head. I would not waste such a precious gift when I truly was not sure of my own heart’s desire. Yet. He’d laughed and carried on as usual.

© 2011 Aelfwynn MacGregor, AMB