And that was the issue. And it wasn’t something so simple for Chase to answer. On one hand, he didn’t feel the necessity to trade in Krislynn for LaCienega like he did previously, but on the other, Krislynn had about two more weeks left with him. And if she left… If she left… Wouldn’t LaCienega be the proper choice then? Shouldn’t he prepare for that?

            Shaking the thoughts out of his head, Chase told his friends he’d sleep on it and think it over. Truthfully, he had no intentions to drag on the topic in his mind. It was stifling and complicated trying to match what his heart wanted and what his brain thought was the best for him, and since he wasn’t the best at figuring these things out, he decided not to think about it at all.

            It wasn’t until Sunday that Krislynn finally caught on that something had been a little off with him since his fishing trip with Jace, and asked him about it. “Well, you know that whole thing with LaCienega? Like how I slept with her that one time? I told him.”

            She gasped at once, followed by an excited giggle as she held onto his arm and pestered him for more. “And what did he say?” She gaped, and she was so entertained by this fact that her eyes glittered as if she wasn’t staring at him, but reflecting a cave of diamonds and gold. “Did he hit you?”

            “Are you having fun?” He groaned, flicking her forehead to show her his discontent. “You must be so happy that I’m suffering.”

            It was the shifting of her eyes that gave her away, but she pouted sweetly nonetheless. “N- no. Of course not.”

            “Mhmm,” he snickered. “I believe you.”

            “So then did you guys work it out?”

            “Well, it’s a bit complicated, but he’s not mad at me and he’s forgiven me if that’s what you want to know.” Not exactly in the mood to explain all of it to her, Chase told her only the necessary tidbits and omitted the part about Jace’s true feelings toward LaCienega and herself. “I mean, I feel a bit awkward around him now since no matter what, I still betrayed him. And the fact that he didn’t condemn me for it makes me feel like I owe him even more.”

            “But don’t you feel better after telling him at least?”

            Chase shrugged. “To be honest, not particularly.”

            Laughing, Krislynn cupped his cheeks with her hands and brought her lips up to his for a kiss. “Well I think you were super brave for telling him, and regardless of how you feel, it was the proper thing to do.”

            Chase shrugged and seeing that her words didn’t give him much comfort, Krislynn decided to make him an offer. “How about this? Since you feel like crap, if there’s anything I can do to take your mind off of Jace and make you feel better, let me know and I’ll do it!”

            Although there was nothing in Chase’s thoughts that she could accomplish, the gesture brought a grin to his face. Playfully, he slipped his arms around her and rocked her side to side as he touched and traced the tip of his nose along the nape of her neck. “Nah, not right now,” he murmured. “But I’ll think of something for you to do so hold that thought and keep that promise.”