I would be lying if I said I wasn’t sad at all. I greatly missed Sheridon and Arianna. They shouldn’t have left us like this…

Most of the guests had left by now. I don’t know how long I’ve been standing here, saying my automatic farewells and giving out my condolences.

Over to my right by the path leading back up to the palace, I saw Trinity and Eric. They were standing close together, lost in their own world. I hated to admit it, but I saw the connection that they have. I didn’t frown upon it in disdain anymore; I frowned in pity and in sadness. They would never have a future together. It would never be possible. Not with the prophecy. Not with their statures in life. Not with Angels being regarded as slaves…

I watched on as Eric bent his giant form over Trinity, cradling her gently against him as he wrapped his arms around her and placed a kiss on her forehead before whispering something in her ear. She smiled ever so slightly at his words and nodded her head.

It pained me to watch, but I found that I couldn’t look away. They shared such a sweet and tender love. Maybe I was jealous. Victoria’s smiling face flashed through my head. Yes, I was jealous. If Eric could so easily have a love like that with an Angel, then why couldn’t I?

Standing up straight again Eric took her hand in his and then started walking over to me.

I cleared my throat and clasped my hands behind my back, trying to look strong and collected. But once my eyes locked with Eric’s, I knew that he could see through my façade.

“Are you alright, Master Keegan?” Trinity’s sweet, soft voice asked me.

Looking down at her, I smiled, “I don’t think we need formalities at the present moment, Trinity. But yes, I am fine, thank you.”

Rachel and Jayden joined us then. They were trying not to cry. But by the looks of their sunken, ashen faces, they were about to break down.

It was then I realized that this was about more then just the life that we cherished today. This was a wakeup call. A reality check. A very real prophecy was about to come to light and this is what was going to happen. We were going to loose those that we loved and this is how awful we were going to feel tenfold. If we survived it all, that is.

But that got me thinking. Is this something that we would want to merely survive through? What would that mean for us if the Human race didn’t win against the Fallen? What did they have planned for us should we fail?

“It seems that all the guests have left,” Eric muttered.

Glancing towards the gravel drive, I watched as the last few carriages started driving away, “Indeed.”

“Why don’t we all go inside for a cup of hot tea?” Rachel offered, trying to lighten the mood with a small, delicate smile.

I nodded and looked up at the grey clouded sky, and started to walk back, “That sounds like a very nice idea. It looks like it is about to rain on us in a moment anyways,” as soon as I finished speaking, so as to prove my point, a low rumble of thunder made its way across the sky.

I had given my staff the day off today. My soldiers, especially, appreciated it, as they had lost some of their men, some of their brothers and they needed their time to mourn for their loss. The funeral was a lot to take in this afternoon.  So Trinity offered to grab us the tea.

We all made our way together to the library and a lump formed in my throat. I had made memories in this room. Memories with Victoria… My heart clenched at her name. What is wrong with me? Did I really love her that much?

I sat in my regular armchair directly in front of the fire mantle, my apprentices took the chairs to my left while Eric sat to my left on the small couch which I’m sure he planned to share with Trinity.