55: FOLLOWING THE LIGHT (JASON)

Video above - IN ANOTHER LAND -The Rolling Stones

OMG! Jason follows the light ...

Suddenly, I was in another land.

I was walking through a falling snow, thick and swirling and difficult to see through even though it appeared to be daytime. I didn't know where I was or where I was going, but there was a light up ahead that seemed to be leading me on and I felt compelled to follow it.

I didn't think I was in Kenton anymore. There was nothing around but open spaces, fields flat and lonely, white and windswept, rippled and drifted like the ocean on a bleak weather day. But I wasn't cold. I was very warm, even though I was wearing only my running shorts and tank top.

I snorted a laugh, remembering Johnny had said we couldn't run around in the winter dressed in short pants because it'd be too cold. But not here. The snow was deep, up to my calves, but it was warm and soothing like bubble bath foam and I was imagining how good it'd feel to lie down in it and roll around.

Johnny!  Yah, where the fuck was he? What happened? What the hell was I doing here? A few seconds ago I was running alongside him down the Athens Road and ... jeez ... then I was here walking through this snowy gloom and wondering how the fuck I got here.

There was an eerie wind, and music came from afar carried along with it. I could hear it clearly because there was no roar to the storm, just weird and haunting sighs. I recognized the melody. And the voices too. It was the Rolling Stones. Yes, them, singing a carnival-like tune in echoing voices, a 1960s psychedelic lollipop number from one of their old CDs my mom used to play and play over and over again when I was a kid.

In another land ...

In another land ...

Ohmygod. What was I doing here in this strange place following a light with the Rolling Stones singing somewhere off in the distance as if they were the official resident heavenly angels?

Nah ... I couldn't be dead. How could I have died running down the Athens Road? No way. Especially not on broadcast TV. I mean, sure I like to put on a show, but that'd be way over the top even for me.

This had to be a dream. Right, I was dreaming. But fuck, how could I have fallen asleep running with Johnny and Ernie while being broadcast on CNN?

What the hell was going on?

Besides, I was so full of energy I had to be awake. Nobody's this pumped up asleep. I felt totally alive and free of all the fear and anxiety I'd been having lately. Really good, like I could yell and holler and sing along with the voices in the distance and pump my fists into the air like Rocky does in all those fight movies and shout, "Yo! Yo! Yo!"

It all felt so real. Like I was truly here, my senses not fooling me, definitely seeing, feeling, hearing everything around me with tingles of silver streaking up and down my spine.