Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

Iris relaxed now, letting herself go slack. How ironic it was that he'd beaten her this way.

"How did you do that?" she asked.

"I improvised," he said quietly. Iris could hear the smirk in his voice. "A trick I learned from the very best." She knew he meant her.

"A cheap trick," came a thick voice from behind the both of them. Kayde released Iris and they both turned on a heel to see Hench standing there, arms crossed and eyes flicking from one of them to the other. Iris wasn't aware that her mentor had been watching the spar. And now? Iris felt small under her gaze. She hadn't won.

"Good work, Iris," Hench commended, a sort of knowing gaze focused upon the two of them. "Two against one isn't easy. You should have called for backup, girl." Iris couldn't help but be taken aback at the words. Calling for help wasn't something she cared much to do --calling for help was weakness. She wanted to do things alone --to prove that she could do things alone. Hench saw the look on her face as soon as it appeared.

"Don't be so arrogant, girl," Hench scolded. "You're a person --not a god. If help is available... then ask for it. You'd be a fool not to." She motioned to the arena. "Helping others is the theme around here, after all. You don't always have to play the hero."

Iris shrunk at the words, losing any previous bravado. But after a moment? Hench loosened up and clapped her trainee on the shoulder. Kayde just watched, not knowing what to say. A new look from the mighty woman dismissed him --a queue he did not miss. With a small bow of his head, he left the two women alone.

"Take my word," Hench said, a wisp of a smile appearing. "I'm proud of you. I've always been proud of you. You can fight with the best of them."

"Yes, well..." Iris had no clue what to say. "Thank you." That would have to do.

"Not at all a problem." She waved it off. "It's not often I see battle chemistry like that. You and Kayde both complemented each other in that spar. I'm mightily impressed."

"He taught me how to fight," Iris said. "I mean, he taught me first. Perhaps that's why."

Hench had a seat. Iris followed suit. "Why don't you tell me more about that, girl?" The large woman paused. "Why don't you tell me more about him?" Iris cocked her head, surprised at Hench's newfound curiosity. It wasn't often that her mentor prodded.

"Don't look at me like that," Hench said and used a hand to straighten Iris's tilted head. "I think it's time for you to talk instead."

"Of course," Iris said and shook her stupor. "What do you want to know about Kayde?"

"Anything you have to say."

"Well, our families were good friends," was the first thing Iris could think of to say. "Especially when I was younger. To be honest, though, I didn't really know Kayde as a child. He was sent here rather early." Iris paused. "I suppose when I ran off to join the war, my father called in a favor. He was a guardian --a guardian that had met me before. I suppose he was just doing it to be kind. No matter what, he saved my life."

Hench gestured for Iris to continue.

"More?" Iris asked. The answer was clear. "He taught me how to do a multitude of things. He kept my head above the water." Iris smiled as she reminisced. "He taught me how to swing a blade. He taught me how to blend in at the camp. All the things you could imagine that went in to my man act, he taught me. But it was more than that. Kayde taught me how to be a friend," Iris paused, letting another realization hit. "He taught me that I could be self-sufficient. He taught me to have faith in practice."

Hench raised a brow. "Explain."

"I don't know how to explain it," Iris replied. "He just... had faith in me. He never looked at me like I was hopeless."