13: part one

Remember chapter 49 & 50 from Reckless when Jess went to visit her parents and some guy followed and took pictures? If not, I would reread it understand better. (:

// some songs I listened to while writing this: drugs—EDEN, separated—Oshi, Alright—Logic

New York City, New York
October 29th, 2015
9:55 AM

Jess

I sat across from the shrink.

She was talking to me, but because her voice was so soft, I wasn't hearing what she was saying. I had zoned out completely.

I was here because of headlines reading:

'Jessica Steele Kidnapped'

'Jess Steele Kidnapped By Her Stalker'

'Jessica Steele Assaulted and Saved By Police In Terrifying Showdown'

"Jess?" Dr. Reyna spoke.

I lifted my gaze from the small rip in the knee of her tights.

"Do you have any questions?" She paused before elaborating. "Do you have any questions about what you're feeling?"

Oh, Dr. Reyna, I'm not feeling anything at all.

9 hours earlier.

I got off the phone with Harry after sitting in a four hour meeting.

You heard right. Not one hour, but four of them.

The meeting was supposed to go from seven o'clock in the evening to nine o'clock, but somehow, that nine was stretched to eleven.

So, now, it was close to midnight, and I was just rolling up to my hotel. Even at this hour in the city that never sleeps, there weren't any fans or paparazzi staking out the back of the hotel. We were also in a Honda Civic, so no paparazzi in hiding suspected anything when we drove by the entrance.

I threw my bag over my shoulder as I stepped out of the backseat. Jane, Robbie and Sal walked with me through the back door.

"I'll be at your door at eight tomorrow morning. Sasha is expecting us at their place at 9," Jane said.

I nodded.

"Please no more little Civics," Sal groaned beside me, pressing a hand to his lower back.

I laughed and patted his shoulder.

"Aw, really? I already rented out a couple mopeds for tomorrow," Jane teased.

Robbie and Sal got a laugh out of that.

"I'm gonna stay down in the lobby. Jess, you want something to eat before you go up?" Jane asked.

I shook my head, and she looked at the other two. "Sal or Robbie?"

"I'll grab something," Robbie said. "Sal, you'll bring her up?"

Sal nodded and hit down the brim of my baseball cap so it covered my face. "Yup."

"Hey," I whined and fixed it back into place.

I said good night to Robbie and Jane and got into the elevator with Sal. I pressed the button for the third floor and leaned against the back wall. My exhaustion had finally caught up with me, and I could guarantee that if I closed my eyes for just a moment, I'd fall asleep.