12. Tranquillity {Harry}

I didn’t know how the hell it ended up, me choosing to stay a few more hours in bed, with Franz soundly asleep and an arm wrapped all around her waist. I didn’t know if that was the same question resounding in her head. I didn’t know what I should really feel about this. All I know, yes, I am not naked – and neither is she.

I guess this is just a friendly gesture, you know. Earlier this morning, after she and Sheila have brought things back under control, it was already three-thirty a.m. and everyone was bone-tired but we had to be on the road. The boys were already fully awake but I chose to catch a few more hours of sleep; besides, the travelling would take hours anyway. But I was surprised that before the bus started going, she was there.

Yeah, it was awkward and she had to face her back to me while I tried to look presentable with clothes on. When I was done, there came the knock-out question:

“Can I just stay beside you for today?”

And she wouldn’t tell me anything else, even if I bribed her when I finally said yes. So, it became something like this. It sort of felt awkward that really didn’t feel awkward – if you understand what that even means, because I’m not even really sure – and felt natural yet so foreign.

Franz’ soft breathing was apparent and I could feel the constant beating of her heart with my arm around her ribs. Everything felt so serene, as if last night didn’t happen and was just a mere bad dream. I’ve never felt this kind of tranquillity ever since landing on this job, and ever since Red has become a part of our living nightmares. I wanna keep it like this for a longer period of time.

I wrap my arm around Franz tighter, and hid my face in her strawberry-scented hair. Funny how I didn’t notice this before; we’re always with her. Maybe I could keep her with me – no matter how selfish that sounds – for a few more minutes before we would start rehearsals again in a new place. And it’s also funny how that one of the most hyper-active girl I’ve met can spread the feeling of calmness.

I felt her hand touch mine. “Harry?” she asked softly, her voice sounding a bit raw.

“Oh, sorry if I woke you up,” I said, slowly sliding my arm out of her waist but she held it there.

“No, don’t,” she said, letting out a contented sigh. “It’s fine, you didn’t wake me up.”

“Oh. OK.”

There was another silence, and she slipped her hand into mine, intertwining our fingers. The actions seemed so foreign to me now, since it’s been so long since a girl had this act of affection (if this really is affection) towards me. But I didn’t mind and even brought her closer. I closed my eyes, sinking in the comfortable quietness.

“Why did you want to stay with me?” I asked her curiously, after a few minutes.

Her other hand reached for the drapes and closed the little gap. “I was...scared,” she answered timidly.

“Scared?”

“I was scared something might happen to you,” she said. “To all of you. And I just thought of doing this in the spur of the moment.”

Silence again.

“Did the guy from earlier tell you something bad?”

She sniffed a bit, and her voice sounded a bit irritated when she replied, “Yeah.”

“What did he say?”

“That something bad was going to happen to all of you.”

“No kidding, Franz. Why wouldn’t he tell you something bad if I just asked it?” I joked.

“OK, I get it.” She sighed again. “He said...Red’s preparing something big for all of us – and his targets now are your tiny, popstar asses.” She chuckled. “At least, that’s what he said...”

“That’s the only thing he said?” I asked.

“Yeah.”

“Well, that not something One Direction can’t handle,” I joked and she laughed softly. “Now, why did you choose to be here while you could probably go to sleep with the rest of the lads, anyway?” I asked seriously. “I mean, you said Red would be targeting our ‘tiny, popstar asses’, right?”

She shifted uncomfortably but she didn’t let go of my hold. “I just can’t...shake the feeling...that...something worse is going to be in store for you; because, look at the evidences – Red seems to be behind everything that’s happening right now with your life, and he seems to be holding more grudge on you than anyone else, besides Sheila anyway.”

“Franz,” I assured her. “I tell you: it’s not something can’t handle. As long as we’re just standing united, rather than divided.”

“You know, I like your optimism,” she said. “Maybe it’s the result of having to endure many times of self-doubt and mistakes. Or maybe, the big ego that’s in your head because everything seems to be going to the right way with your careers.”

“Careers, not exactly lives,” I noted. “I mean, we wouldn’t be having problems if Red wasn’t such a messed-up shit, right?”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

There was another silence, and it lasted for a couple more minutes. I thought she was gone back to sleeping when she gave my hand a squeeze and said, “I wonder why the boys haven’t bothered us yet?”

“Probably in a few more minutes,” I said, smirking. “And right now, why don’t we just enjoy the moment of total calmness and silence?”

“I second.”

***

An early update because I will not be here for the weekends -- school is LITERALLY consuming me. Though, I'm hoping for your votes and comments!

Dedication will go to a commentor.

P.S. Please do read SUMMER'S MELODY. You can find it on my profile here.