Chapter 1: Silence

Start from the beginning

"But neechan," Yoru gasped for breath as she held a small silver blade in her hands, sweat dripping down her slim face. Her midnight black hair was plastered to her flustered cheeks, bright red like a cherry. "I can't..."

"Of course you can!" Shiro encouraged her little sister, wiping some sweat off her brow with the back of her loose white sleeve. "You just have to be pushed a little! Tousan always worked me to the bone! Remember that night when I collapsed in the field and Tousan had to carry me back to the house because I was so tired?"

"But I'm no good at this, neechan." Yoru slumped down to her knobby knees and drooped her head down, strands of dark hair fluttering everywhere in the cool breeze. "Not like you are."

"I started off like you!" Shiro ran over to her sister and dropped by her side. "We can't get good instantly, you know!"

Yoru sniffled.

"I guess..." she mumbled, her pink lips pouting.

Shiro laughed.

"One more round!" Shrio proposed. "And then we'll go back to eat some of Kaasan's mitarashi dango!" (***mitarashi dango is a sweet rice dumpling that is drizzled in a sweep soy sauce reduction, which is like a syrup)

Yoru's head snapped up at the sound of the delicious treat.

"Okay...!" Yoru pushed herself up, her small chest heaving as she took a stance, her thin legs slightly spread apart. She held her forearm-length silver blade in front of her, the tip pointing at Shiro.

The white haired girl just smirked, unsheathing her long white katana from its thin ivory scabbard that hung on her slim hip.

Yoru let out a breathless yell, charging at her elder sister with eyes flashing with determination.

The two sisters sparred for about fifteen minutes before Shiro knocked Yoru down for the tenth time that morning. Yoru fell back onto her bum, her blade tossed to the side as she tumbled down.

"Itai...!" She yelped in pain as her hands scraped the ground.

"Yoru-chan!" Shiro called to her younger sister, running over to her to help her up. "Are you hurt?"

"My hand..." Yoru's wide gray eyes narrowed, her face scrunched up as she cried.

"It's okay!" Shiro stared at her sister in a look full of worry. "I'll get you back to Kaasan!" Shiro hoisted her younger sister onto her back, her white blade back in its sheath. She jogged over to Yoru's forgotten blade and wrapped it thickly in the canvas Yoru had brought it out in. Shiro trekked through the flat plain towards the village.

"Kaasan!" Shiro yelled to her mother as she burst through the door, frantic.

"What is it?" The white haired woman rushed to the door, leaving her cooking duties. "What happened?"

"Imouto fell!" Shiro motioned back to Yoru, who clung onto her elder sister's back.

"I didn't fall," Yoru mumbled into Shiro's back. "Neechan pushed me down!"

"W-we were sparring!" Shiro gasped, gazing up at their mother. "It was an accident Kaasan, I swear!"

"There there," the white haired woman cooed as she took the five year old from the girl's back. "Let's get this hand of yours cleaned up now."

"Neechan promised me mitarashi dango after we finished training," Yoru sniffed, her eyes red from tears.

Their mother cracked a warm smile.