[Side Story I] - Cha Hakyeon

Cha Hakyeon.

7 Years old.

Human.

He was a child born from the love of his adoring mother and hard-working father. His parents loved him and he loved them a lot in return. He was born and raised in a small town called Pinewoods. The town used to be a small farmer's village that ran upstream along a river, surrounded by mountains and greenery. The town carried a long history and was proud of it. Its people were very close to one another, from one generation to another. It was also the same for Hakyeon's family.

Hakyeon's grandparents lived in Pinewoods for a very long time. His father was also raised here. They opened a small bakery since the town was established in order to accommodate for the needs of its citizens. The bakery also used their local harvests in order to produce its sweet and savory products, which was loved both locally and by its neighboring towns. Although Hakyeon's father was never able to inherit the secrets of the family bakery, his wife, on the other hand, was a natural at it.

When she married into the Cha family, she took over the bakery with care and love. Her skills were even more amazing than the previous generation of the Cha family. They were loved by the people of Pinewoods.

Hakyeon was also loved by the adults in town since his birth. He was showered with the love of his neighbors as well as his own parents. He grew up to be an energetic and kind child, whom all the adults loved. The moment he learned how to walk and run, he would go around town to help the adults carry through with their errands. Sometimes, he would even take care of the even younger children for their parents. Everyone called him the big brother of Pinewoods and even the leader of the local playgrounds. They laughed, played, and joked with Hakyeon. In return, Hakyeon would repay them with his deeds and his brightest smile.

But there was something that no one knew about Hakyeon. Not the people of the town, nor his family or friends.

He had everything anyone could have ever asked for but he wanted more. He craved for more.

Since his family ran a bakery for so many generations, Hakyeon was interested in inheriting the business and carry on the family traditions. He often went down to the store to help out both at the front desks and behind the scenes, down at the kitchens or supply room, which was his favorite place. Why?

Hakyeon would often hide in the supply room of the bakery whenever he could. He would excuse himself telling the adults that he wanted to find the ingredients they needed but in reality, he had other motives for being there. He was attracted to the mountains of flour sacks and barrels that towered before him. Each time he opened a new bag of flour, he couldn't resist his temptations. He reached out his hands and dug inside. There, he took out a handful of flour.

And smeared it all over his face.

Then, he would walk over to the barrels of clear water and look inside. His own reflection.

I look better this way... if only I can remain this beautiful forever.

And he would look at his reflection until he was called up. He couldn't help but stare at his beautiful skin and fair smile. His 'ideal' self.

* * * * * *

However, the times he thought he was truly beautiful was only momentarily. Without the flour covering his skin, he hated his reflections the most. He avoided mirrors and glass windows whenever he could. He didn't want to look at his own tanned skin and physical features that made him feel disgusted.