O n e

Maybe it was because I was up until midnight last night. Maybe it was because I was having a good dream. Maybe it was because of the annoying ringing in my ears.

All I knew was that I did not want to get out of this bed. But, as usual, all good things must come to an end.

I rolled over and beat my alarm clock until it shut up. I knew I should have just recorded the Emmy's and watched it today. I got my lazy ass out of bed and let my legs take me to the shower.

In case you were curious, I'm Dacie Banks. That one junior who never stops talking about music and doesn't give a damn about your opinion.

I finish getting ready and jog downstairs. I heat three pieces of bacon and head of the door with them. My bus is about a five minute walk some I have time to eat the strips before I get there.

I turned the corner of my street and see the bus still isn't there. About ten people a crowded around the green bus stop sign towering above them. Well towering above all but one. The sign is about six feet and this guy seems to be matching its height. I try to get a peek at his face but his back is to me. I'll just wait until the bus comes. I put my headphones in and shuffle play songs from Blue Neighborhood.

Six minutes and two songs later, we start to pile in the bus. I manage to get to the bus second so I take a seat half way through the bus. The tall guy comes in several people behind me so I see his face.

He has thick eyebrows, short brown hair and eyes to match. He's smiling at something on his phone, making him look super cute and innocent. He passes me and I watch him go three seats before the end of the bus. On the next stop, my friend Amenne get on and occupies the remaining space in my seat.

"Is that my shirt?" she says, referring to the Panic! at the Disco tank top I'm wearing.

"It was. You left it at my house though so I believe that makes it mine by default. You practically begged me to wear it."

"Um, no honty. I'm gonna need that back A.S.A.P. That's the closest Brendon Urie is going to get to my body so I need to take what I can get."

I laugh and tell her I'll bring it over sometime this week. She lightly threatens me before I give her one of my earphones.

"Hey do you know that guy's name?" I asked glancing toward the back.

"No. I think it starts with an 'm' or something." She pauses. "Why?"

"He looks interesting." I shrug. We make four more stops before we get to the school. Row by row, we exit and make our way to the bench somewhat near the hallway of my first block. I remembered Amenne said she had gym for first block today.

"Hey, I heard the old coach got fired," I say.

"The short one with the red hair?" I nod "Oh my god he was so damn annoying. He got excited whenever we had to run." She rolled her eyes."Who the hell gets excited for running! I don't even like walking." I agree with her.

After sitting there for a few more minutes, the first bell rings. We make plans to meet outside near the first building for lunch, then part ways. Since I was so close, I end up being first to the class. I go in and take a seat in the second row from the front. People start piling in and fill up the back.

The teacher is in the front writing her name on the board. I make out Ms. Mape from her fast and scribbled hand writing. She caps the marker, pulls her hair back one of those comb clips and goes to her computer, not addressing us whatsoever. I read the assignment and get started. I can already tell this year is going to be slow and boring just like every year.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

"Good afternoon," Ms. Galle greets us as I walk into my final and favorite class of the day, chorus. I see Ameene's lime green backpack and set my stuff near it and take a seat between her and a shy looking girl with jet black hair in a low ponytail.

"Hello lovely ladies and gentlemen. I am your teacher thee Ms. Galle," she announces in a dramatic tone. Amenne and I have had her class for the past two years so we have gotten used to her theatricals.

She goes over her two major rules for the new people (no saying "can't" and no slouching), then proceeds to do breathing warm ups. She separates us into alto and seprano groups and we do a singing exercise thats supposed to bring us together but always ends up making thing awkward.

About an hour later, head outside to catch out bus. The building for chorus is the farthest away from the bus loop so we sprint. Looping through several different people, we almost get lost but manage to meet near the board for the buses.

"Yep, 0407 is here," I say panting slightly. We find the numbered bus and get seats in the front. No more than a minute later the buses start to make their way out of the loop and towards the exit.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I say walking toward the bus's mechanical doors.

"Yeah and BRING MY SHIRT MISSY," she yells out the bus. I laugh and wave her off. Walking home I think about the today.

"Soooo, any cuties in your classes yet?" Ameene asked me during lunch. I look at her and shake my head.

"No but I seen at least two guys today with way better eyebrows than me. Like damn, where is the sign up sheet for perfect eyebrows better I need to add my name."

"I know right? It's not fair. But there's something satisfying about seeing a nice pair of eyebrows."

"True." I said sighing.

"Oh and you know that tall guy on our bus you were asking about?" she asked. I thought back to this morning and nod. "His name is Mack. He's in my psych class. He was basically the only one focusing."

I hummed in response. I never would have guessed psychology. People usually just take that class to fill an elective spot but if he was focusing, maybe he actually wants to pursue it. I turn into my driveway. I turn the lock of my door with my key and it opens. As I turn around to close it, I catch a glimpse of Mack. His eyes dart towards mine briefly then back to his phone. I lock the door and flop on my beanbag.

"Mondays are so slow," I whisper to myself.

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

HII GUYS. If you are reading this, first and foremost thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of Double Take. I write this on my kindle so if there are simple mistakes like spelling or something please that in mind.

Also for those not aware, which is probably most of you, my name is Nia. I'm super excited for this story and I can't wait to see how people like it. I hope to upload on the weekends but I can't make any promises because I forget a lot so for now I hope.

Anyway, be sure to leave comments telling me what you think of the characters so far. I want to know your opinions and thoughts. Again thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy.