Down WIth The Sickness

Jason's pov

I watch in amusement as Joey effortlessly takes down another one of my men, a malicious smirk on his face. If I'd known he could fight like this, I probably wouldn't have dismissed him so easily. A terrified whimper caught my attention and my grin fell when I noticed that Joey had a foot on the neck of Patrick, my best fighter and was trying to snap it.

"What are you doing?!"

"Going for the kill, duh."

"I didn't give you permission to kill anyone,  especially one of my allies."

Instead of moving away like I expected, he pressed his foot down harder.

"Allies, enemies what's the difference? You can't trust anyone in this world enough to truly lay your life in anyone else's hands."

"P-Please let me go."

Joey paused, cupping a hand to his ear mockingly.

"What's that? Is Mr Big Bad Rogue begging weak little Luna Whore to let him go? Why don't you push me off?"

Joey started twisting his foot and Patrick let out several squeaks of pain and terror.

"By the way, Jason, I was wondering . . . whose pup was that?"

My attention focused on Patrick, I missed the dark look that suddenly filled Joey's gaze as he shifted his attention to me.

"Huh? That's not important, now let him go."

"Oh? I think it's very important considering I let you drug me and bring me here to protect a pup that's not mine."

In spite of my irritation, I couldn't help the smug smile that crossed my lips at his angry tone.

"Release him and I'll tell you."

"Fine."

Lifting his foot, Joey let Patrick crawl away, clutching his throat. I winced as I saw the bruising and Joey cleared his throat, drawing my attention.

"Fine. She's a pup we found abandoned in the woods."

"What are you going to do with her?"

"She's served her purpose and I don't need her anymore, so I think we'll just leave her behind after we destroy Kyle and his pack and just let the winter weather finish her off."

"I want her."

I laughed, shaking my head in disbelief.

"She's better off dead, I mean what kind of mother would you make?"

"I wasn't asking your permission, Jason. Give her to me or I'll kill every one of these idiots you have following you."

I started to refuse again, but Jeffery stopped me.

'Give him the pup, Jason. Don't argue with him about this.'

'Why? He may know how to fight now, but he's still not that much of a threat."

'He doesn't have his wolf anymore. He's much more dangerous than you think he is.'

'I don't understand . . . not having a wolf makes him dangerous?'

'Of course it does . . . remember all of the terrible things you've wanted to do, but something always held you back?'

'Yeah?'

'Well that was me holding you in check.'

'I still don't_______?'

'We balance each other out, Jason. Just like you keep me from going feral, I keep your darker impulses under control. If I ever decided to leave you or am forced to permanently take you over, the shift in power would cause me to completely lose all control and anyone in my way would be fair game, even Joel.'