Derek imagine

*Taken from tumblr I do not own : credits teenw0lfimagines
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Request: How about a fic where you were Derek's cousin who escaped the fire? You were barely ten at the time and now you were about 16-17. You were at a tutoring session when the house went ablaze and Derek, Laura, Cora and Peter all forgot about you in the chaos. Derek gets a call from Social Services and then takes you in, happy that another family member is alive. Derek didn't realize you were a human-Hale until he met you. He and Peter then became extremely over protective, driving you crazy with it.
It's a Sunday when Derek gets the call. He has a sister, a younger sister. Social Services tell him that he has a week to come and collect her or she'll be placed in foster care. Derek drives up to the office on that same Sunday because he feels terrible about forgetting his sister during the fire.

You're back at Derek's house now. It's obvious that Derek has changed a lot in the seven years that you haven't known him. He's reserved and quiet –two things that you hadn't expected. The drive to Derek's apartment was almost silent. He tried making small talk, asking about how things had been over the past seven years but the conversation wasn't going anywhere because neither of you felt comfortable to say anything.

Derek's apartment is different to how you expected –you expected it to be barely decorated but it reminded you of home before it burned down. Thinking about the fire makes your insides turn –for years you had felt horrible for being at school getting maths tutoring while the rest of your family was in the house. While majority of your family were born as werewolves, you were born as a human. Sometimes you hated being human and other times you loved it.

"Derek?" You say softly, still feeling like a stranger in your brother's house.
Derek looks up from the book he was reading, although he was probably just glancing at the pages, and looks over to you. "Yes?"

"Um, which one is my room? You probably said something about it on the way here but I kind of forgot," You ask nervously.

He puts down the book completely and walks over to you. "Hey, it's alright, don't worry about it. Your room is the second door on the left. We'll go shopping tomorrow if you'd like –whether it's stuff for your bedroom or clothes or whatever we'll get it."

You smile at Derek and nod. "Thanks, Derek." You wrap him in a hug, frowning a little when you realize how long it's been since you've hugged a member of your family.

"What's wrong?" Derek asks, still hugging you.

"How did you know something was wrong?"

"I can hear your heartbeat," Derek says matter-of-factly.

You almost roll your eyes at him and scoff but you stop yourself. "Oh. I forgot about the werewolf stuff."
Derek chuckles a little and then releases you from the hug. "What's wrong?"

"Did anyone else make it out of the fire?" You ask after thinking about the question for a couple of seconds.
"Peter, Laura, Myself and Cora did. Peter got burnt pretty badly and spent six years in a rehabilitation centre. Laura became an alpha because she inherited it from mom but Peter killed her and became an alpha. Peter went on a massive killing spree and bit Scott. I killed Peter and became an alpha. After a few months Peter was brought back to life by Lydia, she's a banshee. Then Cora came back a few months later and she got really sick. I gave up alphahood to save Cora. Cora went back to Europe when she was better," Derek explains.

"Wow, I missed out on a lot," You frown.

Derek shakes his head. "Don't feel bad about it. I'll take you to meet Scott, Lydia and the others tomorrow."

You smile a little and nod your head. "Sounds good."