Chapter 1

Arther hated these kinds of meetings. They were completely unorganized and all over the place. It always ended up with people screaming at each other over whose idea was the best, which was exactly what was happening right then.

The CEO of their world-wide fashion magazine company had called together a meeting with the main editors. He announced that he was planning on retiring as soon as he found a suitable replacement, and that it be soon, hopefully. He had found multiple candidates, and had only to choose between them.

All of the editors had protested and displayed their disapproval after he made the announcement. Ludwig, their CEO, had always done a brilliant job, and to be honest, was probably the only thing holding the company together. They were astonished to hear the loyal man say that he was leaving.

Ludwig slammed his large hands down on the table, one of his favorite things to do, catching the attention of everybody around them. The chatter was immediately cut off. He cleared his throat and continued on with what he had been saying.

"Anyways, I have three people in mind. They're all very good friends of mine, so don't worry, they're all trustworthy." He said that, but it was only a partial truth. He knew all of them, but they weren't that close.

"I know they aren't here today, none of them could spare the time to fly over to Britain today, but I would still like your opinions anyways.

"The first person I had been considering was a young man, very sensible, but he has a tendency to agree with people, no matter what they say. His name is Kiku, he's from Japan, and is very wise. He's always courteous, but also very reserved, which might not be great when a tough decision needs to be made."

Murmurs went around the table as people discussed their opinions with their neighbors. Several people made their points directly to Ludwig, but most just conversed with the people around them.

Ludwig gave everybody a couple minutes while he listened to all their thoughts.

"Well, it seems like it was pretty even. Some of you seem to like him, but others don't. So let's go ahead and move on to the next one, see what you think about him.

"The next one I thought of was a man named Berwald. He's Swedish, but his accent isn't too difficult to understand. He's not especially friendly, but he definitely has no problem making and carrying out difficult decisions. He can rule with an iron fist, and is a man of few words."

Once again, he let the table mates converse while he listened.

"It looks like most of you guys are not in favor of him, because he wouldn't be very understanding, which is... understandable.

"This last one is probably not going to be your favorite, but I actually do believe he could be a good CEO. He's Americ-

Ludwig was cut off by a chorus of groans and sighs. It appeared that they had already made up their minds about him.

He cleared his throat very loudly, and resumed his sentence. "He's American, and his name is Alfred. He has no trouble speaking his mind, and makes his position very clear on most topics. He can be loud, but he's also a good leader. He can occasionally be offensive, but it's often unintentional, usually because he can be a little oblivious."

This didn't appear to change their minds in the slightest.

He tried, to no avail, to get them to reconsider. Did they not realize that maybe, just maybe, one American, among millions, might not be as bad as the rest?

Ludwig held his breath, trying to calm down the frustration boiling inside of him. He knew that this American was the best option they had. Whether or not Kiku or Berwald were better suited for the job, it was unlikely they would take the offer. He knew what he had said earlier, which was a itty bitty lie, he never actually asked them whether or not they wanted the job.

He tried every anger management technique he knew of, but he could no longer hold it in as he burst out, shouting at them.

"You all need to shut your damn mouths! I can give the job to whomever like, you're lucky that I even asked your opinions! I've made a decision, and you all will like it, or you can just quit!"

Ludwig spoke in a manner very unlike himself. He stood there for a second after he finished ranting, breathing heavily. He saw the shocked looks on his editor's faces and stormed out of the room.

Quiet chatter started up several moments after he left.

"What will this mean for the company?"

"Does he really intend to hire an American?"

"I think I might take his advice. I wish you all luck, but I think I'm done!"

Arthur sat there silently as watched several people stand up and leave. More paraded behind the first few, although only a few of them had said they were planning on quitting.

The last few people walked out the door until Arthur was sitting in the room alone.

Arthur was very open to trying new things, but he wasn't sure if this was the wisest idea. He knew that there were good Americans out there, but there were bad ones as well. Ludwig made this... this... this... ah yes, his name was Alfred. Ludwig made this Alfred man seem not quite so bad.

He decided that he didn't approve of it, but if that was what Ludwig wanted, then he would try his hardest to cooperate.

Arthur stood up with a newfound confidence, pushed in his chair, and left the room.