We are who we are

"Emmet! How could you be so carless?"

"I'm sorry Carlisle, I wasn't thinking."

"I swear if you've hurt her I'll kill you."

Silence.

"I-im so confused. Bella is my mate. Not this shifter whoever they are. Bella's scent is old in her house, its almost like she hasn't been there in months. Her belong are there and so is charlie. I don't understand anything." Edward wailed.

Why the hell is he talking about me? I thought he hated me with all of his being. He's not the only one whose confused.

"Yer know I think she heard that" a thick Texan voice said as I hesitantly opened my eyes.

I was curled into a ball on Edwards lap, leaning against his chest as the rest of his family sat on the sofas around us. We had somehow moved from the living room to the small lounge room I used to love, mainly because it had a giant bean bag in front of the fireplace and a bookcase of classics. I'm pretty sure I left my copy of Wuthering nights here...

"She's awake." Alice chirped.

I tilted my head, giving her a sarcastic look, you don't say.

"I'm sorry, Beth. Honestly I was just excited" Emmet apologized from his seat next to- more like under- Rosalie.

I let out a small meow and sent understanding and forgiveness to Jasper, hoping he'd pass it on to Emmet. I guess he did as a moment later Emmet was grinning ear to ear like the immature immortal he is. I looked up at Edward with big eyes, melting into his arms as he looked back into my own eyes. I could see something was wrong but I was too confused to understand. Bumping my head into Edwards arm gently, I jumped off his lap and walked over to the fireplace. As I got nearer I saw that I had indeed, left my copy of Wuthering nights here, however  wasn't the book which caught my attention but the small pile of photos sticking out from under it.

I slowly dragged the book away but the corner of the for and was shocked my what was in the photos. They were the photos of my eighteenth birthday. The day everything went wrong. I picked them up in my mouth and jumped onto the small, oak table which everyone was gathered around before spitting the pictures out, causing them to scatter around the table before settling. I heard the Cullen's sharp intake of breath as they realised what I had found. I saw them all pass an anxious look around the circle before Esme tried reaching for the photos. Not going to happen.
I hissed at her and swiped a clawed paw at her causing her to snap her hand back and cower into Carlisle's chest slightly.

I turned to look at the first photo, it was of me and Edward walking down the stairs as I looked absolutely mortified at the extent Alice had gone to to throw the party. My dull, brown hair was hanging down my back as my dark brown eyes stood out from my chalky white skin. Even I, myself can admit how hideous I looked back then, becoming a shifted had defiantly benefited me.
I had acquired curves in the right places, my skin had become snow white and my eyes had turned a light hazel with streaks of dark brown mixed in.

Turning my attention back to the picture, I placed my paw over the image of me and cocked my head to the side. I wanted to see if they would explain anything to me.

Carlisle looked at what I was pointing at then sighed along with everyone else. They are doing a lot of sighing.