Giving Up

Opening the front door with nervousness, Harley looked at her husband, who stood outside in the pouring rain.
"Thank you." He said, walking inside and placing an arm around Harley, who continued to sniffle.
"I don't understand," She whispered lightly, "You're always so sweet to Lucy. You hug her and kiss her, even though you plan to give her away!" Harley motioned to her daughter, who sat on the floor in confusion.
"It's...it's complicated." Joker shook his head, before Harley looked him straight in the eye.
"No it's not. Kill them! You kill people all the time and you never seem bothered by it. Why don't you just get rid Jamie and Melody whilst you still got the chance? That way, you don't have to give little Lucy away!" Harley suggested in hope.
Joker contemplated the thought, looking around and taking his wife's hand. "I could do that. But I made a promise..."
Harley raised her eyebrows in shock, "What is wrong with you, today?" She yelled, "I thought you liked killing people?! I feel like I don't even know you anymore!" Harley paused, then continued to speak.
"I'm a mother of two, a wife, and a certified nutso! I may not have had the happiest childhood with my own mother, but I wanna make sure my own child doesn't have that kind of up-bringing where she is neglected by her biological parents!" Harley picked up Lucy and looked straight into Joker's eyes.
"Take Lucy. Go on, give her to the rich couple. But if you do that...we're through, you and me." Harley warned, shedding multiple tears.
Joker shook his head, "Harley, you know I wouldn't give you up--"
"Then don't give my daughter up, either." Grabbing her husband's arm, Harley stroked his creamy white skin.
"You know I love you more than anything else in this world. But it's funny, cause you never say that to me." Harley began to laugh, feeling her eyes sting from tears.

Placing one hand on Joker's face, Harley whispered, "On the night of our wedding, you vowed to protect me from all sadness and pain." Joker smiled at those very words, tracing his wicked memory back to the wedding night.
"Right now, can you protect me from sadness?" Harley asked.
"Can you promise me that you'll never give up Lucy?"
Joker sighed, looking into Harley's pale blue eyes and smiling. Kissing her forehead, he spoke softly, "Okay."