Chapter 26- Falsity

"Collect yourself," Jason spoke quietly. "Feel your power deep from within."

Logan inhaled, holding it in to test his powers. His stance was relaxed, eyes closed. Hesh stood ready to take in the powers Logan would transfer to him. If Logan's eyes had been open, neither brother would've been looking away from one another.

I could feel a small, pressing gaze on the side of my face. When I tilted my head, just slightly, I gazed into wondering hazel eyes. He narrowed his almond-shaped eyes and flicked his gaze to where Alec was leaning against the wall to the right of me.

Alec had turned to look at me, his bright gaze hard with something I couldn't quite comprehend. He eyed me, my stance and my hands, as if I was going to attack him. I had no reason to. So why was he acting different? He had been the last two days. I needed to talk to him in private.

"Hailey," someone croaked next to me and I snapped out of my stare-down with Alec to turn and face the voice. "Do you think if Logan transferred his powers to me, I would heal quicker?"

I swallowed to Kick's thoughts. "As much as I would love to say that would work, it won't. If he transferred his powers, he'd weaken. You would be able to use them while you wielded them, but Logan would take them back eventually."

"But would I heal quicker?" Kick held his side and sat straight up as he spoke on the bench next to me.

I blew upwards, moving the small strands of hair out of my face. "Everything would return to Logan. You would lose your healing and return to your current state."

Kick frowned and silently watched Logan and Hesh. Jason had drawn them closer together, speaking in the same hushed voice as Kick and I. I glanced downwards to Kick's dismay.

"Hey, I can still help you heal quicker," I gently gripped Kick's hand, making him snap to my gaze.

Kick knew that I'd been putting small amounts of my healing power into him. He was getting stronger every day that I did so. Merrick had detected it too, yet didn't say anything. I intended to keep it from Alec also.

Jason caught our attention. "Do you feel anything?"

"No," Hesh had closed his eyes, blue light coming from his gut.

Logan held his hand against Hesh's side, trying to transfer his powers into his older brother. I watched in confusion as Logan tried again and again to complete the process. Nothing got Logan to push his powers out of him to an innocent body.

"Do you have any idea why it's not working?" Logan demanded, finally pulling away.

Jason shrugged. "No."

"This is useless," Alec mumbled under his breath.

Too bad Ivana isn't still alive.

Ivana; I hadn't thought of her for an entire day. Her words when she'd visited me in my sleep still echoed in my head from time to time.

Someone is coming.

Who could she be talking about? Rorke was dead and even if he wasn't, he wouldn't want to attack the Ghosts. Too much had happened to make that possible. Ivana herself wouldn't carry out an attack from the dead either; she'd told me that her thoughts against the Ghosts had been wrong. And what of the remaining Federation soldiers? They were too scattered and leaderless to try and attack. So who was Ivana talking about? Someone I hadn't met? Someone right in front of my face?

Logan brought me out of my trance. "What are you thinking about, Hailey?"

Jason had stopped to look at me. I brushed off his gaze by shaking my head in dismissal.